The Student News Site of Xavier College Preparatory

XPress

XPress

XPress

XPress

Follow Us On Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

Xavier XPress (@xcpxpress) • Instagram photos and videos

Local Weather
PHOENIX WEATHER
Scoreboard

Roughing it on Phoenix trails

DCIM101GOPRO
Katie Harris
DCIM101GOPRO

With the help of the brand new spin rooms, the Brophy/Xavier mountain biking club has recently gained new members and more recognition. Sophomore Lucy Lawler began mountain biking in eighth grade with her mom and was ecstatic when she discovered that Xavier had a mountain biking club. The club is a part of the High School Arizona Cycling League and the National Interscholastic Cycling Association.

Every Monday the team meets for spin sessions after school in Xavier’s Activity Center. On Thursdays, they participate in outdoor trail rides at courses such as Tempe Beach Park. Mountain bikers in Arizona are especially lucky because Phoenix is home to some of the best trails in the country. According to SingleTracks.com, the best trail in Phoenix for advanced bikers is the Black Canyon Trail, a 62 mile stretch at the base of the Bradshaw Mountains. For beginners or bikers who enjoy a simpler ride, Lookout Mountain or Dreamy Draw Mountain Preserve are great places in Central Phoenix.

“The races are a blast! Girls race at 8 am and boys at 10 am The courses are all over the state. My favorite course is in Flagstaff because it’s nice to ride in the cool weather. There is always fun music and tons of food,” said Lawler.