The Student News Site of Xavier College Preparatory

XPress

XPress

XPress

XPress

Follow Us On Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

Xavier XPress (@xcpxpress) • Instagram photos and videos

Local Weather
PHOENIX WEATHER
Scoreboard

Off season – but not off practice

Kara+Barberich+stretches+before+track+hurdles.+
Julia Depasquale
Kara Barberich stretches before track hurdles.

Here at Xavier, there are many exceptional athletes, all of whom have one thing in common that fuels their greatness – off-season training.

You may ask, “What exactly is off season training?” The answer is simple. Off-season training is practicing one’s sport during a time other that the main high school season.

For example, senior Kirielle Singarajah has won three team state badminton championships in a row, won many tournaments and placed second at the individual state tournament in 2015. All these accomplishments have been greatly helped by practicing on her own, in addition to practicing during the regular fall badminton season. Singarajah said that her off season training at the Arizona Badminton Center has “made all the difference.”

Another Gator athlete, senior Tessa Weiss, shares a similar story. Weiss has been a member of the Xavier cross country team since her sophomore year. Her success is attributed to her daily runs both during the season, off-season and over summer.

Weiss placed fourth in the state this year for cross country, helping the Gators win an incredible second place finish as a team and secure a bid to the Nike Cross Country National Competition.

When asked about the importance of off season training, Weiss said, “It is one of the most defining factors for success during the season. For runners, there is no off-season.”

These athletes truly demonstrate how practice makes perfect, and individual practice can mean the difference in achieving the sought-after first place.