Surviving second semester finals and AP testing week

As testing week approaches, here are some ways to lessen your stress.

With finals and AP testing just weeks away, anxiety levels are running high amidst the halls of Xavier. Just one glance down Fitz and you see rows of Dutch Bros cups adjacent to sleep-deprived and stressed out Gators. They need that caffeine kick at 7:45 in the morning to subsidize the four hours of sleep they aren’t getting because of all the homework and cramming. Sophomore Ana Yoo speaks for the student body. She said, “With all of the tests coming up, I really wish that I had a great way to prepare myself.” Well, no need to fret because I have the Do’s and Don’ts to surviving finals (and AP’s).

DO: Make a schedule for studying and stick to it. This will help you with time management so you don’t feel like you’re cramming at the last minute. Also, you will retain information better if you break it up in chunks instead of studying everything all at once.

DON’T: Pull all-nighter cram sessions days before the final. First, you forget everything you have reviewed more easily with this method, and you don’t get enough sleep – a total lose-lose situation. Remember, sleep is ALWAYS your friend.

DO: Study with friends. Theology teacher Mr. Ahern and Biology teacher Mrs. Weiland say that it is best to study in groups around 2-4 so that everyone can share their knowledge with others, and if someone is struggling in an area, another group member can explain the topic.

DON’T: Have a “study party” with a very large group of friends. Though it is important to study with others, when there are too many people in one room, things can get out of hand. In a studying scenario, music and Netflix are also a big DON’T because they are HUGE distractions. (Trust me, that episode of “Friends” can wait.)

DO: Make study guides. These are so helpful when figuring out what you need to know for the test. Most teachers provide study guides to help students study. Also, try making the study guides with friends. This way, you get work done and study with others.

DON’T: Only look over the textbook when studying. Look over past assignments and tests as well to see which concepts you struggled with during the semester. The textbook alone will not provide the best study method because it does not show you your strengths and weaknesses in particular subjects.

DO: Take breaks. You work so hard, so you deserve a little “me time.” Why not take a trip to Fashion Square with your best buds or even watch a Brophy baseball game? These fun activities will help you relax so that you are less stressed, and, in turn, more productive.

DON’T: Procrastinate. Unfortunately, this syndrome plagues all of us, especially in times of stress. Therefore, it is important to stay focused on a goal and not get sidetracked by Buzzfeed quizzes.

Whether you just have a couple of finals or, like junior Kiley Galvin, “have five AP tests to take in two weeks,” these studying tools will help you ace all of your exams and keep your cool for the next month. Good Luck!