Earning an Associate Degree in High School

Rio Salado provides an opportunity for Xavier students to get ahead in their college education.

These students from the Class of 2015 earned their A.A. degrees.

courtesy of Sr. Lynn Winsor

Xavier is one of the few high schools in Arizona that enables its students to achieve an associate degree before even graduating. Through the dual enrollment program at Rio Salado College, students can amass college credits while at the same time passing courses required by the high school curriculum. With dual enrollment, students not only advance their progress towards achieving their desired degrees, but they also save a great deal of money.

At Xavier, there are a wide variety of classes ranging from science to English that offer dual enrollment credit. Students who take advantage of these courses beginning their freshman year and continuing through their senior year will be able to achieve the required number of credits to receive an associate degree by the time they graduate.

The purpose of having an associate degree is not to rush the college process, but rather to make it more efficient. Holding an associate degree in high school enables incoming college freshman to surpass many routine classes of the college curriculum that may not be associated with their major of choice. An associate degree is like a free pass into starting major studies from the get-go at the commencement of the first college semester.

This year alone, Xavier has almost 50 students receiving associate degrees for their academic achievements. “Achieving an A.A. degree before I graduate high school allows me to get ahead with my college credits,” said senior Megan Piotrowski. “In the long run, it will enable me to more quickly enter the working world as a business law major,” said senior Kate Witt. Witt also added, “dual enrollment is a great way to save both time and money for individuals who want to pursue higher degrees. Even if people aren’t looking for anything higher than a B.A., they can still double major in something else they like or reduce the burden of college fees by surpassing the hinderance that routine college classes may cause.” Whether planning to obtain a doctorate in psychiatry or double major in both English and world studies, receiving an A.A. degree in high school will greatly aid the study process by reducing the stress on the purse and on the clock.