Xavier’s annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony kicks off the Holiday Season

Sydney Missigman, Faith In Action Editor

Ugly Christmas sweaters, festive holiday socks, soft glazed donuts and of course: Christmas trees. This thoroughly sums up Xavier’s annual Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony. Well, maybe not completely. This year, the Ceremony was held on Dec. 1, the kick-off of the holiday season to some.

This anticipated event is hosted by the Student Council officers and Key Club. Alexandra Mesquita, a sophomore Student Council officer, said that the “hot chocolate…  really put me in the Christmas spirit.” While decorating the tree, she said, “[Being w]ith my fellow class officers…made me realize that the true meaning of Christmas is spending time with friends and family [while] helping others get into the Christmas spirit.”

Key Club members and officers arrived early Thursday morning with the goal of fulfilling their appointed job: providing donuts to every homeroom. With plenty of volunteers, this goal was quickly made into a reality. Another group that made this Ceremony possible was Mrs. Van Sickle’s home-ec classes. They gave up class time to sew and create beautiful ornaments that the trees would be adorned with.

Each tree, dedicated to a class and decked out in the respective class colors, represents one of the four charisms for the weeks of Advent: hope for Freshman, love for Sophomores, joy for Juniors, and peace for Seniors. This is a reminder for the students and faculty of the true meaning of Christmas, Christ.

After lighting up the campus for two weeks, the Christmas trees are to be donated to families in the valley who may not otherwise be able to have a Christmas tree in their homes. This is another example of the wonderful opportunities Xavierites have to give back to the greater community, especially during the Holiday Season.