College visits on campus

Each fall marks the start of a brand new school year, college football season, pumpkin-flavored treats, homecoming and weather under 100 degrees. However, a less celebrated aspect of this season is the slew of college visits on Xavier’s campus.  Alumni, admission directors and representatives from the top universities across the country travel to present their respective institutions to Xavier students. These short meetings before school or during lunch are vital for gators of all grade levels to attend because they give students a glimpse into college life and an advantage in the dreaded college process.

After leaving Xavier’s hallways, students travel to every corner of the United States to begin their undergraduate careers. Chances are a student can’t visit every school, but through college visits the schools come to them! In every presentation, a student can receive a virtual tour of the school and receive a pile of pamphlets on majors, study-abroad programs and extracurriculars that are offered by the university. By attending these information sessions, students can determine their top schools before spending money to fly across the country for a visit.

By attending college visits on Xavier’s campus, students are to receive tips from the admissions staff of their prospective schools. For the majority of colleges visits, the representative who presents to Xavier students will actually be reading the their applications and ultimately deciding whether or not to offer admission. It is to a student’s advantage to introduce themselves to the representative and take note of their contact information if there are any further questions regarding their college. This personal connection might bring the student’s application to life as the admission team is reading thousands of essays and resumes. It is never too early to start thinking about college!