Xavier community raises $29,670 for Hurricane Harvey relief

Back to Article
Back to Article

Courtesy of the Athletic Office

Courtesy of the Athletic Office

Courtesy of the Athletic Office

Tatum Dial, Class Writer

The Xavier community has come together to support victims of Hurricane Harvey by raising $29,670. This catastrophic hurricane devastated the Houston area, causing billions of dollars worth of damage. It is estimated that 27 trillion gallons of rain fell during this category four hurricane. People lost their lives and hundreds of thousands of homes were damaged, leaving many people homeless.

Sister Lynn Winsor, BVM, exclaimed, “We just knew that things were bad, looking at the photos and looking at the news. We just thought we should do something to help out.” In response to the devastation, students within the Xavier community came together to help those suffering in Texas.

Xavier raised the money from a “buck-a-sweans” day, as well as donations from parents, faculty and alumni who wanted to give back to the people that had lost so much. The money will be sent to Catholic Charities USA and Sister Lynn noted that, “We hear that’s the best organization because the money pays for the actual people who need things.”

Xavier’s motto, “women pursuing excellence,” was evident in this effort to bring hope and love to victims in another part of our country. “We are really proud of the Xavier girls, our alumni, friends, and families for helping out on this. It was huge,” said Sister Lynn.