Tips and tricks to a college essay

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tips and tricks to a college essay

Skylar Smith '18

Skylar Smith '18

Skylar Smith '18

Skylar Smith, Business Manager

With early application deadlines approaching on Nov. 1 and regular application deadlines just a few months away in January and February, college application essays are of the utmost importance to seniors. However, these essays can be extremely difficult to write. Here are a few pieces of advice on how to create a perfect application essay:

1. Start early

Though this may be difficult for early application deadlines, leaving enough time to rewrite, edit and have other people read your essay is very important.

1. Don’t just tell a story; reflect on it

Anyone can write a decent narrative about a certain experience, but it’s difficult for many to reflect on how that experience impacted them. Senior Alondra Ramos recounts how she reflected in her essay by commenting, “When writing your reflection, think ‘how did this experience make me feel?’, ‘how did it change my perspective?’ and ‘what did I learn from it?’”.

1. Use your own words, not the thesaurus’

Colleges don’t expect, nor want, you to sound like a 50-year-old English teacher. Instead, write how you would normally write, as you have a limited word count in the first place.

1. Read essays written by accepted students

It’s simple to complete a quick Google search to find examples of successful essays for the college that you want to attend. These can be great for seeing what style of essay your dream college is looking for.

1. Proofread

This is one of the most important pieces of advice for writing a great application essay. Ensure that your grammar, spelling and overall syntax is correct before submitting. Additionally, if using one essay for multiple colleges (which I do not recommend), change the name of the college. Nothing is more disconcerting to a college application reader than finishing your essay with “and that’s why I’d love to attend Columbia!” when the application is actually to Harvard.