Faith, fall and Friendsgiving

The+table+setting+for+Friendsgiving+is+often+decked-out+with+pumpkins%2C+candles+and+a+welcoming+tablecloth.+
The table setting for Friendsgiving is often decked-out with pumpkins, candles and a welcoming tablecloth.

Sydney Missigman '18

Sydney Missigman '18

Sydney Missiman, Editor-in-Chief

Thanksgiving is a holiday set aside for family to gather and give thanks to God for all of the blessings He has provided. But, does the newer fall tradition of Friendsgiving have the same purpose?

Many people have recently starting using the month of November, with its cool weather and picturesque scenery, to celebrate close friendships, aside from just family.

Junior Katie Holmes recently attended a Friendsgiving with her closest pals and she said, since “Thanksgiving is traditionally a family holiday, being able to get together and eat dinner and have fun with my friends is really special.”

Friendsgiving has become wildly popular over the past decade. Not only is it a time to celebrate with one’s closest friends, but it is a time where one can show off her crafty Pinterest decor-skills. From tablescapes to gift favors, nothing says “love” like homemade.

However, amid the cozy tan sweaters and candle-lit tables, it can be easy to overlook the true meaning of Friendsgiving: honoring the meaningful relationships in life as a gift from the Lord.

Holmes said that Friendsgiving is definitely a faithful occasion because “my friends and I all have the opportunity to celebrate together and be thankful for what God has given us.”

There are many ways to remember faith during this Friendsgiving season. Before diving into the perfectly carved turkey and steaming mashed potatoes, say Grace and thank God for the bountiful food that He has provided. While telling stories by the fire, add in some favorite memories shared with each other and make sure to include why friendships are important. Finally, while the guests are heading out the door with a goodie bag in hand, remind them how special they are and what a tremendous gift they are from God.

So go on — get decked out in fall apparel and eat pumpkin pie until midnight. But try to remember to thank the Lord for the gifts He has provided, especially during this Friendsgiving season.