Yes, there’s an app for that

Duolingo%2C+a+language+learning+tool%2C+allows+the+user+to+adjust+the+amount+of+time+spending+studying+everyday.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Yes, there’s an app for that

Duolingo, a language learning tool, allows the user to adjust the amount of time spending studying everyday.

Helen Innes '19

Helen Innes '19

Helen Innes '19

Skylar Smith, Business Manager

Learning something new does not have to be confined to the traditional school subjects. In contrary, with the rise of modern technology, app developers are creating apps specifically designed for everyone to learn something new on their own time, for free, anywhere in the world. So, do you want to learn something new? Look to these apps:

1. Duolingo: This swifty language-learning app is interactive, and only takes a few minutes a day. Teaching the the basics of multiple languages, Duolingo uses pictures, audio exercises and short sentences. Duolingo is a simple and approachable way to learn a new language quickly, without the feeling too attached to an app.
  2. Today in History: This app is essential to any history lover. Everyday, this app shows alerts on the phone with important “This day in history” reminders. Today in History also provides information on smaller events that occurred, along with descriptions of prominent events, births, deaths and international holidays as well. This way, you never have an excuse for missing Beyoncé’s birthday.
  3. TradeHero: This app actually makes learning finances engaging. TradeHero gives the user access to a simulated stock trade in order to learn the basics of investing and stock markets. The user starts out with an artificial $100k stock portfolio and can even trade and invest in 22 different exchanges.
  4. TED: This already well-known app, full of influential speeches, is perfect for learning on the go. The app contains TED’s full speech library with subtitles and playlists suited to personal recommendations. Senior Claire Fleming commented, “I love to use the TED app to listen to interesting speeches when I’m in the car or can’t find anything to watch on Netflix. It’s a fun way to learn something new.”
  5. HowStuffWorks: This app, mostly known for their website, covers an endless amount of topics from how Tupperware works to what makes bacon just so appetizing. Additionally, HowStuffWorks uses fun quizzes to test the user’s knowledge and suggests podcasts to listen to.

In modern society, the collaboration between apps and learning is ingenious. New apps are created everyday to encourage learning in both an inexpensive and intriguing way, and available all over the world.