Xavier science classes participate in a global exchange program with Egypt

Sydney Missigman, Editor-in-Chief

For the first time ever, the science department at Xavier, specifically the Honors Physics and Biology classes, is involved in a foreign exchange learning experience with an all-girls school in Egypt. Since the first few weeks of school, Xavier students have been communicating with the Egyptian students through the use of the Google Classroom tools, such as Google Docs and Gmail, to work on simple science projects together.

After working with the Egyptian students for most of the year over the computer, the Xavier students were excited when the teachers from Egypt were able to come to Phoenix for a few days during the week of Jan. 29.

Establishing global connections is a growing initiative that Xavier has increasingly promoted over the last few years. Whether this connection is made by travelling to Nicaragua or Ireland, or by hosting German or Egyptian groups, adapting a global mindset is a great skill, especially for college and in the workforce.

Through this Egyptian learning experience, the science students have learned so much about the universality of science and the importance of communication. One project the Physics classes did with the Egyptian Physics classes was finding the velocity of a ball rolling on the floor. The students worked together, via Google Docs and global messaging app “What’s App,” to calculate the velocity and share their experiences while completing the project.

Courtesy of Erin Alaimo
Xavier students work on a physics project and use the whiteboard to show the Egyptian students their work.

Senior Tatum Hardin participated in this project, as a part of the Honors Physics class, and said she has learned a lot about how science is a common language around the world.

Dr. Camille King, Biology and Honors Anatomy teacher, called the Egyptian project a “global exchange learning experience.” She and Mr. Glen Hestenes headed the exchange program.

Courtesy of Frances McMahon Ward
Physics teacher Glen Hestenes meets the Egyptian science teacher they have been working with.

Similar to Xavier, the high school in Egypt is also an all-girls school. Not only were Xavier students excited to hear this similarity, but when they started working on the science projects together, they were even more enthralled to know how there is a common understanding of science throughout the world.

The power of the global learning experience goes beyond just interacting with those who speak another language. Xavier students learned that the language of science is universal; the same things taught in Phoenix, Arizona are being taught in Egypt. Students learned that though they may be thousands of miles away, education is a tool that all can participate in.

Arizona’s local Cronkite News covered the story while the Egyptians were in AZ. Read about it here.