Xavier students perform in “Little Women” at Valley Youth Theater

The playbill for

The playbill for "Little Women" at Valley Youth Theatre.

Tatum Dial '19

Tatum Dial '19

Tatum Dial, In Class Writer

“Little Women,” the classic novel written by Louisa May Alcott, was turned into a musical and brought to Broadway in 2005. The beautiful show focuses on the four March sisters during the late 1800s in Concord, Massachusetts. This beloved story, written in 1868, pushed the boundaries of women’s roles in the 19th century and highlighted independence during a time when women had few rights. The show defines what we are taught at Xavier, to be smart, bold and ambitious young women who follow their dreams. Just like the protagonist, Jo March, whose dream is to become a famous writer, Xavier students are encouraged to reach for the stars, too.

Junior Lily Castle, who recently starred in Xavier’s spring musical, “Into the Woods,” plays the role of Jo March, who dreams to write great books and explore the world. Jo March endures loss, rejection and tragedy in her journey, but learns to persevere and follow her goals.

Lily Castle explains that her character, Jo, “is pursuing a writing career in New York and refuses to compromise her character for success. She is a strong, optimistic and ambitious young woman who figures out her way through life guided by her love for education. Xavier has taught me how to exemplify her character on stage and off, and I cannot wait to bring her words to life.”

Steven Enriquez, a senior at Mesquite High School, plays the role of Professor Bhaer in the production and is frequently seen in many of Valley Youth Theatre’s (VYT) performances. He said, “I feel like this beautiful story explores the obstacles someone today might have to overcome, whether it be losing someone so dear to your heart, or finding who you are in this world and what it is you are meant to do.” Steven also stated that the show depicts the “importance of the family unit.”

Arizona School for the Arts junior, Sarah Pansing, who plays the sister Beth, said “Little Women” “is a beautiful story of the power of love and of feminine strength. The show truly resonates with me in such an impactful way because of the big voices and spirits that these little women are given.”

I play the mother of the four girls, Marmee, and I cannot wait to create this wonderful production that contains beautiful messages throughout the story line. As a woman whose husband is fighting in the civil war, Marmee is forced to be the backbone of the family to support the girls during their growth and transformations.

The show opens April 6 and runs through April 22 at Valley Youth Theater. All ages will enjoy this fun, creative and beautiful show that replicates what Xavier teaches all students: to be smart, brilliant and ambitious young women pursuing excellence.