Xavier journalism students recognized by PBS Student Reporting Labs

Xavier XPress Class wearing their PBS Student Reporting Lab T-shirts

Courtesy of Mrs. Ward

Courtesy of Mrs. Ward

Maddie Dinowitz, Class Writer

This is the first year that Xavier’s XPress has been involved with PBS NewsHour Student Reporting Labs, an amazing program that allows students to produce videos about issues and real world events that are happening in our very own community.

Since Xavier is recognized as a STEM school, PBS teamed up with our journalism students to create different stories based on science, technology, engineering or math. Through Student Reporting Labs, Xavier’s journalism class was given two prompts to create short videos. Our first pitch was to find a problem solver in Phoenix and focus on their accomplishments and what they have done to affect our everyday lives.

Working alongside students seniors Sydney Missigman and Erika Kolartz and junior Holly Ngo, we interviewed Kiah Erlich, Honeywell’s Engines and Power Systems Senior Director. Finding someone solving a problem in the STEM field can include a plethora of different careers, but we decided to take the engineering route.

After communicating a little bit with Kiah, she invited our team to come check out what she does at Honeywell, and take us behind the scenes. Not only did she show us plane engines she was working on, but allowed us to sit inside of a test plane, check out the airplane hanger and walk on the runway — not to mention we could film all of this with our very own cameras! Her emphasis on the importance of women in STEM was inspiring and her story was so interesting that it made our video editing process even easier than anticipated.

After sending in our video on Kiah to PBS, it was chosen out of many viedos to be published on the PBS Student Reporting Labs national website. This is a big accomplishment, and extremely exciting for Xavier as a STEM school. PBS Student Reporting Labs gave us to opportunity to explore different careers that we had no prior knowledge of, and create a video that taught us how to problem solve, use teamwork and expand our communication skills. Having the chance to go out into our community and speak up about matters that are affecting our very own lives is really incredible.