The “yes” theory

When Junior Holly Ngo thinks of opportunities, she thinks of opening doors. This picture symbolizes the power of saying yes.

Helen Innes '19

Annabelle Goettl, Class Writer

What would happen if you spent your life saying “yes?” Not just to simple things that are an easy “yes,” but to things that make your stomach swirl with the word “no.” Everyone explores the thoughts of doing something deranged, something so crazy that your life would be revived if you just did that one thing. But when life gives you the opportunity, why is it always an obvious “no?” By simply saying the three letter word (yes), our minds put ourselves into a new reality. But more often than not, people race through life letting someone else dictate their reality.

Do you want to learn how to say yes? Here are three main benefits to keep in mind:

1. You will gain more confidence and self worth.

By saying yes, all the correct doors can open. You may just discover yourself as a person, and find all the strengths you never knew you had.

1. You will meet new people.

Obviously, by opening yourself to new ideas, new people have the opportunity to walk into your life, especially people that share common interests. An example of this is if you decide to finally say yes to that dance class you have wanted to take since you were a child. You will meet new people!

1. You will discover new opportunities, skills, and interests.

This is the most obvious of the three. Saying yes to new things will unleash a whole world of new skills and interests you may have not found before.

The main thing that comes with the “yes theory” is the fact that doing is different than dreaming. People romanticise ideas of future events but it too often never works out. This is because people always tend to push things to the back burner, saying the phrase “maybe later.” Why later? Stop dreaming of all the things you want to complete, and start doing it. The moment you step out of your comfort zone, even just a little bit, mountains of greatness will build around you. Too many humans strive for mediocre lives. But change your life and live an extraordinary life.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In this short and informational podcast, XCP juniors Helen and Holly discuss how you can embody the “yes” theory. This can be an easy change into any Xavier student’s life and can produce many benefits to yourself and others.