Experiencing something new

Back to Article
Back to Article

Experiencing something new

Seniors Janna Hynds and Karina Hawkins saying goodbye to their new German friends at the airport on Sept. 21

Janna Hynds '19

Janna Hynds '19

Janna Hynds '19

Kyla Ferry, Class Writer

In our vibrant Xavier community, eleven of our very own Gators welcomed the German exchange students to the American culture. The Aachen, Germany Exchange Program at Xavier is a wonderful opportunity for both Xavier and students of Aachen to experience new customs and life abroad. In both countries, the girls will take part in sporting events, cultural activities, and school. Starting with their arrival in Arizona on Sept. 10, this year’s participants crammed as much American fun into their eleven-day trip as they possibly could!

The experience of integrating into a foreign lifestyle is rewarding, and gives one the opportunity for complete self-growth and knowledge about a new culture. Senior, Janna Hynds, said that they attended several classes at Xavier, traveled to the Grand Canyon, went bowling, participated in country line dancing, and so much more. They were able to experience true American cuisine, such as mac-n-cheese and pizza rolls, and compare it to the food back home in Aachen, Germany. Hynds’ German exchange student, Paula Thomas, said “My favorite thing about America is difficult to choose. I had such a fun time with everything and absolutely love it here! My favorite thing was experiencing all the people! Everyone is so nice and welcoming here!”

All of the girls had such an amazing experience and have made strong friendships with one another. Hynds said regarding their upcoming trip to Germany in the spring, “The rest of the girls and I are excited to learn about the new culture and try so many new foods. We cannot wait to see our German friends again!” The adventure to America was a life-changing experience for them, and they all would love to return in the future.