Father Daughter Mass 2018

From+left+to+right%2C+Sister+Lynn%2C+Sister+Joan%2C+Michelle+Shipley%2C+Sister+Joanie%2C+and+Tom+Schmitt+pose+for+a+photograph+at+the+Father+Daughter+Mass.+Photograph+courtesy+of+Jeri+Butts.+
From left to right, Sister Lynn, Sister Joan, Michelle Shipley, Sister Joanie, and Tom Schmitt pose for a photograph at the Father Daughter Mass. Photograph courtesy of Jeri Butts.

Chloe Ann Porter, Club Writer

The Father Daughter Mass and Breakfast is an annual tradition celebrated by dads and daughters of all classes at Xavier. On Oct. 20, 2018, a beautiful ceremony was celebrated by Xavier’s chaplain, Father Kevin, in the Chapel of Our Lady. Leaders of the Xavier Dad’s Club and their daughters were given the opportunity to profess the readings and bring up the gifts for the Mass.

The Mass was a beautiful way for the Xavier students to spend time with their fathers, no matter their religion. After the Mass, the congregation was moved to Founders Hall for a breakfast, accompanied by a guest speaker and Xavier alumnae, Michelle Shipley. After graduating Xavier, Shipley attended the University of Arizona to earn her undergraduate degrees in finance and english.

Shipley and her father, Tom Schmitt, did a beautiful job of explaining how Xavier gave them room to grow in their relationship, and how they will never forget the precious time they spent together at Xavier.

Michelle worked as the state director for former Senator John McCain while also helping him during his 2008 and 2016 presidential campaigns. Michelle noted that Xavier prepared her for all the challenges she faced in adulthood. Her father, Tom, also said that “Xavier helps mold girls into independent women, able to do whatever is necessary of them.” Shipley and her father thank Xavier for allowing them to become so close, and hope that other fathers and daughters will get to share that same experience.

Shipley was kind enough to stay for an interview, sharing her experience at Xavier:

How has Xavier changed your perspective on how to approach a male dominated business like politics?

“Xavier provides you with all of the tools and experiences necessary to be competitive in any situation and any carter path or industry.”

What was it like switching from Xavier to UofA?

“I felt prepared and dual enrollment helped so much and gave me an advantage, it allowed me to focus on what I was interested in. It gave me to the opportunity to explore other careers as well.”

What made you want to go into politics after majoring in finance and english?

“It goes back to admiration for the Mccain family. I was always interested in the fast paced industry and unique community connections that exist there in politics. Also, my brothers were always active in politics, I guess I got the ‘bug’ from them.”

How has your father helped you with your path into a male dominated business?

“He has always supported me in everything he wanted me to do, it was never a question. He held unwavering support, made sure I was involved in my school, he also helped with my school and my local community.”

What was your favorite year at Xavier?

“My sophomore and senior years for sure.”

Do you have any specific memory that was your favorite from Xavier?

“I had an amazing relationship with my junior year english teacher, Mrs. Harkins. She really helped support and shape me in my junior and senior years.”

Also, for anyone who is curious: Shipley ate nachos in the courtyard with her friends. She said it was one of her favorite things to do.