5 Tips for Increased Sustainability

April Platt

A Hyrdroflask water bottle

In spite of grim reportings regarding the Earth’s future, XCP students can still have hope by utilizing sustainability. Practicing living a sustainable lifestyle is important as teenagers because it forms the foundation for a lifetime of caring for the planet. With even a small amount of student participation, Xavier students can make waves in terms of reducing our environmental impact. Listed below are five ways that students can aim to reduce their carbon footprint and fight to save our planet.

1. Use a reusable water Bottle

Using a reusable water bottle helps to cut down single-use plastic waste. Popular brands used at Xavier include Nalgene, Hydroflask, and YETI.

1. Invest in reusable lunch storage items

Having reusable storage items cuts down on non-recyclable waste that can accumulate from packed lunches. Items that can be purchased for lunches include ice packs, silverware, and plastic free Ziploc bags.

1. Carpool

Students driving with students reduces the need for increased parking and lessens emissions. Yay for helping the atmosphere!

1. Eat locally grown foods

Eating local fruits and vegetables promotes sustainable and local farming. This

can be practiced by shopping at different Phoenix farmers markets.

1. Thrift

Thrifting is a great way to practice sustainability, as it allows for the continual usage of already made clothes. This also allows for a decrease in “fast fashion,” which is traditionally bad for the environment.

Sustainability applies not just to life at Xavier and not just to high school students. It’s important for all people to practice going green no matter what community they are in or what age they are. For hundreds of years, humanity has failed to truly make an effort towards sustainability. With the classes of 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022, we can hopefully do so. The impact of increased sustainability is a healthier planet for both our and future generations. A cleaner earth hopefully includes less disease, pollution, etc. Additionally, an increase in sustainability will lead to a decrease of climate change and the environmental impacts associated with it.

It’s important for Xavier students to practice sustainability now, as the health of the earth directly affects their future. In making good habits, students can set a good example for both adults and children. If high school students can be green, anyone can.