Senior Editorial: April Platt

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Editorial: April Platt

Photo taken by Abbey Alexander '19

Photo taken by Abbey Alexander '19

Photo taken by Abbey Alexander '19

Photo taken by Abbey Alexander '19

Senior Issue and April Platt

Coming to Xavier was no shock to me; my sister was an alumna and my father had gone to Brophy. However, prior to donning the iconic plaid, I was unaware of what being apart of the Xavier community truly meant.

All I could think of when I first came to Xavier was that it was an all-girls school. What did that mean to me? In the short term, I was concerned. However, long term, it led me to develop friendships of a lifetime; friendships that I do not think would have been possible at a “traditional” high school.

Freshman year my life focused on two main elements: Dutch Bros and AJ’s. The basis of my thoughts consisted of what flavor of iced tea or coffee drink I would be consuming in the afternoon. However, sophomore year was different. As a class, we were more mature, and so instead of heading off to AJ’s or Dutch Bros, we embarked for the newly completed Sauce or Flower Child. Junior year was the year of driving, so food and drink possibilities were endless. Senior year I began to revisit my freshman favorites, reminiscent of my first years at Xavier.

In my four short years at Xavier, I have made memories and friends to last a lifetime. Xavier has taught me what it means to be independent, to push myself and how to fully give back to the community. From my four years, I take an immense growth in knowledge and of who I am as a person.

To the incoming seniors I give this advice: do everything. Go to all of the dances and games, participate in clubs, meet new people and enjoy yourself. While it may sound cliché, it is true that Xavier holds some of the best years of your life. While freshman through junior year may have gone slowly, senior year will be gone all too fast. Do not be afraid to try new things and fully immerse yourself in Xavier and its culture in your last two semesters. Good luck, and goodbye.