Senior Editorial: Helen Innes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Editorial: Helen Innes

Photo taken by Abbey Alexander '19

Photo taken by Abbey Alexander '19

Photo taken by Abbey Alexander '19

Photo taken by Abbey Alexander '19

Senior Issue and Helen Innes

Next time you walk outside of Fitzgerald Hall, otherwise known to us Xavier girls as “Fitz,” look out at the blue tables and find the one tucked into the corner. This table, though it may not look like much, has been my home, as well as my growing friend group’s, for three fantastic years. Little did I know that what I would hold among the most valuable memories from Xavier would be a blue table, but the memories here are the ones that I will never forget. Sophomore year was filled with discussions about the nervousness of junior year, the cringiness of freshman year photos, and still realizing that we were only halfway through our highschool “experience.” Junior year was a buildup to prom, a complete and utter expression of exhaustion about the Xavier workload and excitedness about (almost) becoming a senior. Then, senior year: a complete jubilee, filled with all things red and senior treats.

Photo courtesy of Angela Chambers ’19

As the topics of discussion have changed over the years, so have the people saying them. When I look at any senior, it is amazing, to say the least, how much everyone has grown and developed their own interests. I think that this is one of the unique things about Xavier: everyone is encouraged to find out just who they are. From heavy STEM programs, art classes, a multitude of sports and even XPress, students begin to explore different possibilities all before heading off to college. For me, I have found this the most helpful when figuring out majors for college.

As I leave, it is comforting to know that I will never really leave. The skills that Xavier teaches its students, including the importance of driving slowly in a parking lot, will never fade away. But, most importantly, the memories that I have made here at Xavier (most at the blue table), are ones that I will treasure forever.

P.S. To my best friends, you know who you are, I am beyond thankful for you. Words cannot express my love and gratitude.