Xavier’s Second Kairos (K2)

Back to Article
Back to Article

Xavier’s Second Kairos (K2)

A group of girls that attended Xavier College Prep’s Fall Kairos Retreat in October, 2019. While up at the UCYC for this retreat, they took part in a spiritual and life-changing experience! 
Photo Credit:  Elizabeth Warren ‘20.

A group of girls that attended Xavier College Prep’s Fall Kairos Retreat in October, 2019. While up at the UCYC for this retreat, they took part in a spiritual and life-changing experience! Photo Credit: Elizabeth Warren ‘20.

Megan Onofrei, Photo Editor

The Kairos Retreat began its impact on the Xavier College Prep community when its debut retreat occurred last April, 2018. Kairos has been praised on Brophy College Prep’s campus for the last 70 years and has lived up to its reputation here when it first made an impact on Xavier students last spring. The 2019 Fall Kairos Retreat began on Monday, October 21st and lasted three days, ending on Thursday, October 24th. Teachers and students traveled up to UCYC, United Christian Youth Camp, located in Prescott, Arizona to indulge in this spiritual experience. The preparation for this retreat was filled with a lot of excitement and anticipation formed by the numerous meetings in the weeks leading up to the departure date. Although the girls were told what to pack, they were not told anything about the trip itself; what goes on at Kairos stays at Kairos. It’s a secret!

When asked what the Kairos experience is like, all of the girls refrain from providing any details, as it is a rewarding experience that should not be spoiled for anyone. Everyone should have the opportunity to experience such an influential retreat firsthand. Elizabeth Warren ‘20 had the privilege of attending the fall Kairos retreat and was very pleased with how it nurtured her emotionally. Warren quotes: “Going into Kairos I was skeptical if the experience would actually be life-changing as people say. Coming out of Kairos, I personally have felt uplifted and so much better about myself. I loved this experience and I am so excited for others to have as good, and even better, of an experience that I had.”

As this is Xavier’s second retreat, returning students were given the opportunity to attend either as a participant or a leader. The leaders acted as facilitators for small groups that provided guidance for the other girls during personal reflections and times of spiritual growth. Caroline Andreen ‘20 was a leader on the fall Kairos Retreat and felt that it was a rewarding experience. “I was extremely blessed to be chosen as a Kairos leader for the fall of 2019. When I was selected, I didn’t realize the impact it would have on my life. However, leading Kairos brought me closer to my own faith and brought me closer to many of my wonderful classmates. I am so thankful to have been a part of guiding my fellow peers along the Kairos retreat journey.”

The Kairos retreat is the perfect experience to help one dive deeper into a spiritual relationship with God. Feedback from people that previously embarked on this special experience say it is the most life-changing experience that you could possibly have! Sister Kathleen, BVM, one of the primary moderators for Kairos, attended both the XCP retreats so far, as well as acts as the main facilitator of this event. She has nothing but positive words about the experience and the influence that it has on the girls who attend it. “Kairos has brought a depth of conversation between students and faculty that no other retreat offered here has achieved. Centered on the person of Christ, a Kairos retreat experience sustains us in our daily struggles and supports us in our desire to live as faithful Christians.”

Stay tuned for information on the dates and application process for the K3 Spring Kairos Retreat!