From football games to rallies, Gators show their school spirit this season

October 30, 2022

Friday Night Lights: What’s the appeal?

As the Brophy campus fills with eager students, senior Katie Carlson decks out senior Kate Tax in red paint at the first tailgate of the year. Students prepare to storm the stands of the Central High School football field for front row views.

Grace Allen, XPress Staff

As Xavier girls shuffle their way into homeroom on Friday morning, you can hear the hallways buzzing with one question: “Are you going to the game tonight?” Some students such as sophomore Allyson Brown believe it is “something to do” while others like senior Holland Carey think that football games are “some of the best nights of my life.” 

Ditching their distinct plaid skirts for the weekend, Xavier students pack the stands in another kind of uniform, a Brophy T-shirt. Xavier and Brophy students share school spirit for both schools throughout the game, creating chants and games every student can participate in. 

Tailgating before the football game is the kickoff event of the night. Parents, students and even teachers gather together before the big walkover to Central High School. “What more could you ask for?” said senior Taylor Serrano. 

The walkover is a tradition unique to Xavier/Brophy that students have grown accustomed to. Since neither school owns an appropriate football field, football games take place at Central High School, which is a short walk down the canal.  This tradition, used to generate excitement and energy before games, essentially grew out of a safety precaution: no student walks alone on the canal. 

There is no denying that football games are a distinct part of American culture, giving students like Serrano the chance to“fully involve myself in the high school experience.” 

Many current high school students were deprived of this Friday night classic during the Covid-19 pandemic that swept the nation in 2020. “It took a toll on everyone,” said Serrano. 

Although high schools will never be the same, football traditions have resumed and are in full swing. 

No matter how big of a football fan a Xavier Gator is, she can always make lasting memories. Senior Anna Pisoni reminisces on the Homecoming 2021 football game, Brophy vs. Chaparral, when students “rushed the field” after Brophy secured its win in the last minutes of the fourth quarter.  

Although Xavier students create lasting memories, there can always be room for improvement. Executive Board secretary Eva Allen said students “need to get more involved.” There is a stark contrast between underclasswomen and upperclasswomen experiences at football games, a likely reason there is less involvement than hoped for. Carey, in her experience, said she was a “timid freshman at the top of the bleachers quietly watching the games and now a senior enjoying some of the best nights of my life with my friends.”

Current tradition includes seniors getting front row spots in the student section while underclasswomen are offered spots towards the top of the student section. Seniors enjoy the perks of standing with the famed “letters” which Xavier students can count on to “always hype up the stands,” according to Pisoni. The term “letters” refers to the Brophy students, painted in letters spelling out Brophy, who are known for their gameday spirit.  

The spirit does not stop there. Accompanied by a student DJ, Xavier Spiritline (national title holders) cheer on the Broncos with daring stunts and animated choreography. 

This year something new was added to the mix: a student run T-shirt cannon that launches a free shirt every few minutes.  

So next Friday morning say yes when your friend asks if you are going to the football game. It might just be the best night of your life.