Xavier students take action through non-profit organizations

Savannah Farr, sophomore at Xavier, volunteers with My Tasty Table. She is assisting with food preparation to make energy bites. (Photo courtesy of Riya Mehta)

Kaitlyn MarkhamKarina ZaveriAanvi Goel and Riya Mehta created non-profit organizations to serve their community.

“MathMagicians” and “My Tasty Table” applied to The Dragon Kim Foundation. After an intense application process of a video application, essays, questions and interviews. Both organizations the girls founded earned $5000 scholarships. After receiving the money, both groups received mentorships provided by the foundation.

A MathMagician member participates in one of the activities the summer camp has to offer. This summer program created by two juniors helps kids with learning disabilities develop a love for math. (Photo courtesy of Kaitlyn Markham)
MathMagicians

“MathMagicians” is a non-profit organization whose mission is to help young kids with learning disabilities find a love for math through interactive games, such as Easter-egg clock, beach-ball math, math jenga and other engaging games created by the group.

Founders of “Math Magicians,” Markham and Zaveri, helped nearly 70 kids ages 5 through 10 learn math interactively while working with special needs teachers to revise their curriculums and confirm the benefits.

“I think it helped more when they had something interactive to do instead of just sitting still,” Markham said.

Markham and Zaveri were featured on “AZ Family News,” “ABC 15,” “Epic Kids AZ,” and “The Catholic Sun.” While “My Tasty Table” made appearances on “ABC 15,” “Independent Newsmedia,” “Head Topics,” and “AZ Family.”

Managing Editor, Asiana Guang, interviews Kaitlyn Markham and Karina Zaveri, the students who founded MathMagicians. They discuss what inspired the organization and its impact. (Asiana Guang, Managing Editor and Best of SNO award-winning writer)
In the food section of a grocery store, the video narrates My Tasty Tables's purpose. The founders, Aanvi Goel and Riya Mehta, talk about the organization's activities.  (Asiana Guang, Managing Editor and Best of SNO award-winning writer)
A My Tasty Table member is participating in making treats. My Tasty Table was established to help alleviate the insecurity of food. (Photo courtesy of the My Tasty Table Instagram)
My Tasty Table

Goel and Mehta are two of the three founders of “My Tasty Table.” Their objective as a non-profit organization is to give kids the opportunity to become educated on the importance of healthy eating.

These students are helping others learn about healthy eating and healthy recipes. “Food is a right, not a privilege,” says Goel.

“My Tasty Table” recently hosted its culminating event, spreading awareness and raising over $1500. The event hosted over 100 people which included a three-course restaurant-style meal, informational speeches and testimonials.

“Xavier did so much. The school gave us a lot of support and helped us advertise, like reposting our posts, spreading the word and getting people to come to our events. I would say they were like the biggest help,” Goel said. “They’ve also been very helpful in getting the word out about this project.”

“A lot of people within the Xavier community came to volunteer and then we also had a lot of friends from outside of school and family as well,” Mehta said.

When it comes to the future, they look forward to expanding and continuing their organization. “We’ve been talking about a cookbook with all of our recipes,” says Goel. “If we’re not able to directly continue, I think that’s something that will have an impact.”

“You definitely get a whole new perspective on the issue,” Mehta says. Not only do they teach others the importance of food, but also the importance of helping others.

“It’s been so eye-opening. I always knew the problem around food, but not until I was directly working with the kids who are experiencing that. It’s just honestly life-changing,” Goel said.