Endless electives at Xavier College Prep

Ms.+Herdings+period+7+Advanced+Dance+class.+

Courtesy of Ashten Wheeler '18

Ms. Herding’s period 7 Advanced Dance class.

As soon as I opened my letter of acceptance,  my first thought was, “what classes will I take?” Many of my friends that were already at Xavier told me what electives they had enjoyed, which was really helpful. Picking classes seems to excite everyone because the majority of middle schools do not give options on electives. Xavier offers so many different types of electives and gives students endless amounts of opportunities to learn about things that they haven’t before.

Electives range from classes such as dance all the way to those such as robotics, journalism and computer programming. Xavier is committed to providing classes that will enrich the school and its students. The best part about the enormous amount of choices in the electives category, is that each year or each semester,  you can take something new. Each and every teacher strives to make their classes interesting and exciting.

Senior Lainie Wagner says “Sewing is my favorite elective I’ve taken at Xavier for so many reasons! It’s such a great skill to learn and I feel like it’s a skill that not many people really have anymore. It’s a useful tool to have in life and it’s a fun break in my tough schedule.”

Another senior, Anastacia Whitaker, says “Criminal law has been my favorite elective at Xavier. Ms. Welty takes an already interesting subject and makes it even more interesting.”

Xavier College Preparatory offers around forty different electives and fine arts classes to choose from. This gives every student the chance to study something that interests them. These classes are the best way to create a balance with the busy schedules of core classes. In no way are these electives a “break” but they definitely create a time to learn about the things you love.

Some girls are in interested in adding more physical activity into their days. If that is the case, you will be happy to know that Physical Education is a required class for freshmen. After freshman year you can take Fitness of Body and Mind, Weight Training, Fitness for Life, Dance, etc.

If you are looking for an elective that isn’t mainly physical, here are a few of your options: Creative Textiles, Child Development, Sports Medicine, Broadcast Journalism and even Robotics.

My personal favorite elective has been Dance. I initially took the class as a fine arts credit but I loved it so much I ended up keeping it as an elective all four years. Ms. MaryAnne Herding makes everyone feel so included and gives us the opportunity to create and choreograph on our own.

Although the new school year seems far away, students are required to turn in their class selections this coming week, March 1. To learn more about these and other electives, visit the xcp.org website and refer to the tab “Xavier Curriculum.”