Traditions’ Day 2018

Representatives+from+graduating+classes+at+Xavier+gather+to+listen+to+current+Xavier+students.+

Holly Ngo'19

Representatives from graduating classes at Xavier gather to listen to current Xavier students.

Every year at Xavier the students celebrate Traditions Day. A day where alumni come to visit Xavier. The seniors and the sophomores team up to go up against the juniors and the freshman. Team blue vs. team white. The white team is the graduating classes with odd numbers, Class of 2021 and 2019. The blue team is the graduating classes with even numbers, class of 2020 and 2018. On the day of the assembly the two teams will wear their colors with the chance to win the Traditions Day Trophy.

Each team can win points before the day of the assembly. There is the cakewalk that is held at Founder’s Hall. Whenever a student from either the white or blue team enter they put in a point for their team. There is also the jelly bean contest. There is a jar of jelly beans and a student will guess the amount of jelly beans inside the jar. Every time a student tries to guess the amount of jelly beans, she will put in a point for her team. On the day of the assembly the number of freshmen and juniors who wear white are counted and the same goes for the number of sophomores and seniors who wear blue.  With these events, points will add up for the white and the blue teams. Freshman Isabella Stenzel said, “It was really fun having these activities to do before the assembly.”

Holly Ngo ’19
Monnie Calfee, Liz Sexson and Jane Stephens from the class of 1958 shared their experiences of Xavier on Traditions’ Day.

The students, alumni, and teachers who graduated from Xavier share stories of her time at Xavier.This is a great time for the students and graduates from Xavier to connect. Many things have changed from when the former students have gone to Xavier. It can be from where she sat at lunch to how the campus was set up at the time. It really is a nice and fun event to have here at Xavier. There are usually two alumni who come to speak to the Xavier students about their times at Xavier. They can be giving us advice and telling us fun stories. The graduates that come visit Xavier can be from the graduating class of 1957. Last year on Tradition’s Day alumni from the class of 1957 came to Xavier. Senior Julia Nguyen said, “Tradition’s Day was very eventful we were able to talk to the people who went to Xavier and see how their time at Xavier was.”

Overall, Traditions day is a day where the current students and past students at Xavier come together to reconnect and to share stories about her times at Xavier. The alumni give advice to current students and tell them funny stories from her years attending school at Xavier.