Xavier students, faculty hold prayer service, commemorate anniversary of Parkland shooting

Xavier+students+bow+their+heads+during+17+seconds+of+silences+in+honor+of+the+17+victims+of+gun+violence+who+were+killed+at+Marjory+Stoneman+Douglas+High+School+on+February+14.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Xavier students bow their heads during 17 seconds of silences in honor of the 17 victims of gun violence who were killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on February 14.

Courtesy of XCP Gators Twitter

Courtesy of XCP Gators Twitter

Courtesy of XCP Gators Twitter

Madison Koeber, Managing Editor

On March 14, students, administration and faculty participated in a walkout and subsequent prayer service on Petznick field at 9:45 a.m.

The service, which was organized by the Executive Board, lasted for 17 minutes to honor each of the victims who were killed in a school shooting on Valentine’s Day.

Senior Margot Plunkett, an Executive Board officer, was one of the students who helped Fr. Kevin Grimditch organize the service. Plunkett wanted Xavier students to have an opportunity to share their love and support for the students affected by the Parkland shooting.

At the service, Plunket, Fr. Kevin and other student representatives lead the school in prayer followed by 17 seconds of silence and an announcement that a voter registration drive would be held the following week.

The same day, students at schools across the country, including Brophy College Prep, organized walkouts. Many of these walkouts were organized through Women’s March Youth Empower, a nonprofit organization working to mobilize youth activists.

Regarding the service, Plunkett said, “I hope students have a greater feeling of appreciation for the safety we have been so fortunate to have and that they have a deeper respect for the victims of [the Parkland shooting].”