Where are they now: Xavier’s class of 2017

As we wrap up yet another school year, the XPress team thought it was important to check in with the class of 2017 to see how their journey in college is going so far.

Below are three of XPress’ own staff members who are now successful college freshman.

Maeve McIntyre: (former Editor-in-Chief) 

Courtesy of Maeve McIntyre
Maeve McIntyre (left) is now a freshman at ASU Barrett.

What school do you go to?

I go to ASU Barrett.

What is your favorite part about being in college?

My favorite thing is definitely the independence, which I know is super cliche. I feel like living away from home has made me so much closer with my family, especially my parents, because there’s not all the stress that comes with living with them. When I see them, it’s all about being together and having fun, which rocks. Also, being able to wear literally whatever to class.

What activities are you most involved with at school?

I work in Admissions helping future students enroll and prepare for college life. It’s super exciting getting to talk to incoming freshmen because I was in their shoes literally a year ago!

Do you have any advice for the class of 2018?

I feel like I spent so much of first semester trying to have a “normal” college experience, but I realized pretty quickly that there isn’t any one “normal.” Don’t stress about what everyone else is doing — college is all about figuring out what YOU want for yourself, whatever that is.

Arden Schraff: (former Managing Editor)

What school do you go to?

Duke university.

The freedom and how close I live to my best friends. We’re able to hang out and do homework all day.

I’m most involved with an online magazine and a mental health organization.

Don’t stress too much, whatever happens happens and you’ll be happy no matter what.

Tori Tanigawa (former Media Editor):

Courtesy of Tori Tanigawa
Tori Tanigawa is a freshman at University of San Diego.

What school do you go to?

I go to the University of San Diego.

I’d say the freedom, though that sounds so cliche. My school is also ten minutes away from Mission Beach, so that’s definitely another favorite thing.

I’m an art major, so I’m pretty involved with that community.

So at this point you all are so close to graduating and the senioritis is at an all time high, but AP tests and finals are also quickly approaching. Try not to stress out too much and enjoy your last days of being home and having home-cooked meals. Also spend some time with your parents, they are going to miss you like crazy, and believe it or not, you will end up missing them a lot too. Congratulations on making it through Xavier, it is not an easy thing to do, and best of luck to all of you on the next chapter of your lives!