An Editor-in-Chief’s “thank you” to XPress

Senior Helen Innes standing in front of the entrance to the University of St Andrews, where she will be attending starting in the fall of 2019. Photo courtesy of Helen Innes 19.

Senior Helen Innes standing in front of the entrance to the University of St Andrews, where she will be attending starting in the fall of 2019. Photo courtesy of Helen Innes ’19.

I have been on XPress for three years: sophomore, junior and senior year. Sophomore year XPress was Period 7, but it soon became my Period 1 elective for junior and senior year. My sophomore year, the 2016-2017 school year, was the first year that XPress transformed into an online news platform. I can confidently say that I saw XPress grow from the ground up, and being the Editor-in-Chief my senior year has been a goal of mine ever since I first walked through the door that first day in 2016.

If you keep your eyes open enough, oh, the stuff you will learn. Oh, the most wonderful stuff.

— Dr. Seuss

Now, looking back, I am extremely thankful for all of the opportunities given to me at XPress. Personally, I think that XPress has been the best thing that has happened to me during my time at Xavier, but of course I am a little biased. Not only has XPress developed me into an independent free-thinker, but it has influenced my college major as well. Sophomore year I decided that a major in Journalism at ASU’s Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication was my ultimate goal for college, but have since changed to study International Relations at the University of St Andrews. However, journalism is still evident through my major, since investigating various country’s relations is relayed through multiple news platforms. In addition, I will be a writer for the University’s newspaper, The Saint.

Throughout the past three years, the media has certainly changed. The era of “Fake News” has begun, or at least become exposed to the public, Twitter has developed into a news platform and countless newspapers have transitioned into online papers, including XPress. Not only have “News Mondays,” where XPress gathers on Monday’s during class to discuss the news from the past week, helped me to digest all that has changed in media, but I have become more aware to the politics of the world than I would have otherwise. Hence, my interest in International Relations.

Lastly, as XPress continues to grow, que my favorite analogy: “XPress has begun to spread its wings and fly,” it is slowly becoming a staple of news for both the student body and the outside community. With Xavier’s many events, from sports tournaments to prayer days to prom to rallies, it would be criminal not to report these daily occurrences, along with current world events. XPress is still going through the “growing pain” phase in trying to figure out who it is supposed to be, but it has been my experience at Xavier that students are more than ready for a student-run news platform that brings community and global news to all of Xavier’s developed “fan base.” I know that XPress will become a popular outlet for all Xavier students.

As I leave, it is my duty to promote the XPress class. Not only have I learned to report in front of a green screen, film sports games, record podcasts, develop written articles and more, but I have learned how to be a young woman on an unforgiving political stage. I would suggest that any Xavier student, no matter the level of interest in journalism, take XPress. This class will challenge you, you will learn new things, develop new thoughts, but ultimately, you will learn how to participate in a school newspaper that exposes itself to the global community. Not many students are given the opportunity to have an online newspaper, one in which they can voice their opinions on, let alone have such a developed program to have a retinue of media devices, such as cameras and a new teleprompter at hand, so please take advantage of this.

I could go on for numerous pages regarding how XPress has transformed me into the person that I am today. Being Editor-in-Chief has challenged, captivated and inspired me in ways that I never thought possible. It is my hope that XPress continues to grow, and to the 2019-2020 XPress class, I urge you to take XPress further into unchartered territory. Expose it to more students, film more current events, excite the community. Xavier students want, and need, a media platform to voice their opinions and display all that Xavier has to offer.

This past year, along with the past two, have been an absolute honor. My Xavier experience would not be an “experience” without XPress. To the Editor-in-Chief for the 2019-2020 school year, junior Annabelle Goettl, this is Helen Innes signing off.

To you I say: take this role and run with it. XPress is what you make of it, and you have the opportunity to mold XPress into a stronger, more personable newspaper. Carry this role with honor and seek to give a voice to Xavier’s many students.

Thank you for everything, XPress. To you, I am infinitely grateful. This may be my last XPress article and an end of my XPress career, but it will not be an ending to a new standard of curiosity and wonder that has been granted to me.

P.S. To the Managing Editor this year, senior Holly Ngo, thank you, thank you, thank you. If anyone can whip out a Google Form or send an email about a release to the entire student body in 30 seconds, it is you. You will always be my partner-in-crime.

P.P.S. I could not write a Thank You to XPress without mentioning its two wonderful teachers, Mrs. Ward and Mrs. Cosic. Being Editor-in-Chief has been quite the learning experience, as well as the past two years, and all of that is because of you. Thank you.