Xavier’s first Kairos was a huge success

As a retreatant of Xavier’s first Kairos, I can proudly say that it was by far my favorite experience in high school. This retreat lived up to its heightened expectations that we Xavier students have heard over the years from Brophy friends and siblings. It was evident that the long hours the students and faculty leaders spent preparing for this retreat paid off. The twelve juniors that attended the retreat this past week are excited to potentially become the leaders for next years Kairos. Kairos is exactly what our student body has been waiting for and what it truly has needed to build a more inclusive and friendly Xavier community. Every Xavier girl should get the chance to go on this retreat.

I cannot go into much detail about the retreat due to the secrecy of each activity and I want each Xavier student to experience the same unawareness going into the retreat to learn to trust the process. Kairos is latin for God’s time. Without electronics for four days, I was constantly unaware of the time or anything going on back at home. This was beneficial because it gave me the space I needed to become fully engaged in the retreat. Although we were allowed to bring our phones, I strongly encourage future students to leave their phones at home, just as most retreatants did. When else for the rest of our lives are we going to be able to completely unplug?

During this four day retreat in beautiful Prescott, AZ I got to know so many people I did not know previously. I talked to new people and created great friendships with the aspect of trust built into each one. Not only did I get to know more students, I also got to know more of Xavier’s faculty. I have so much respect for these incredible people that helped lead conversations during Kairos.

Senior Katie Donaldson, a student leader for the retreat said, “It created a better community here at Xavier especially in creating bonds with people you’ve gone to school with for four years but have not really talked to before. We opened up discussions on personal matters and we learned that no one is alone in life.”

Vulnerability was a key factor in the Kairos experience. In order to build trust between yourself, others, and God, we all needed to show our most vulnerable selves. Xavier retreatants are ready to come back to school and share all the love that we learned we are capable of experiencing. We are ready to make Xavier a better place with less of a strict friend group dynamic and a more supportive, inclusive, and loving environment. I strongly encourage every student to go on Kairos and experience the beauty of the retreat.