2019-2020 The Annual National Youth Arts Awards

Archives/XPress Photo

A picture of the curtains before the show began at Xavier College Prep located in Phoenix, Arizona. Photo Credit: Sattu Samura ’21

The Annual National Youth Arts Awards for the 2019-2020 season were recently posted, and the Xavier-Brophy musicals earned a total of six awards and 12 additional nominations.

Awards included Grace Dimond as Jo March in Little Women for Lead Performance in a Musical, Sara Watson as Marian Paroo in The Music Man for Lead Performance in a Musical, Kyra Klonoski as Marmee March in Little Women for Supporting Performance in a Musical, and Andy Wissink as Laurie Laurence in Little Women for Supporting Performance in a Musical. The overall production Little Women was presented the Ensemble Award and the Youth Orchestra Award.

Nominations included Ava Chaffee as Beth March in Little Women for Supporting Performance in a Musical, Talia Novack as Amy March in Little Women for Supporting Performance in a Musical, Lauren Vickers as Aunt March/Hag in Little Women for Featured Performance in a Musical, Bobby Kuehler as Harold Hill in The Music Man for Lead Performance in a Musical, and Ryan Breuer as Professor Bhaer in Little Women for Supporting Performance in a Musical. Nominations also included Little Women nominated for Outstanding Production, Laurena Ketzel-Kerber in Little Women and The Music Man for Costume Design, Jonah Nelson in Little Women for Lighting Design, Thomas Lytle in Little Women for Set Design, Joshua Condon in Little Women for Musical Direction, and Jessica Vining in Little Women for Direction.

This year’s winners were selected by a panel of more than 50 judges and reviewers, such as National Youth Arts Executive Director Rob Hopper who attends plays, musicals and productions throughout Arizona.

All of the Xavier-Brophy award winners were seniors last year, paving the way for new leaders, such as current junior and nominee Ava Chaffe who hopes to be not only nominated but also awarded as a senior next year. 

Chaffee said that her favorite part of being in Little Women was “being with the cast. I felt like that was the closest cast that I’ve ever been a part of at Xavier.”

Current senior Lauren Vickers is very passionate and involved in Xavier theatre. She was part of the behind-the-scenes costume crew for The Little Mermaid and Into the Woods her freshman year, was part of the cast in Seussical the Musical and Working the Musical her sophomore year as well as The Music Man and Little Women her junior year.

“It was definitely my favorite show I’ve ever been in, especially because I love the novel Little Women so being in the show was just such a great experience,” said Vickers.

“We truly have some amazingly talented students and a great production team. I am so proud of Xavier and everyone who contributed to these productions,” said director Jessica Vining.