Who-Dunnit Hoco: ‘Rona Edition

Sister Lynn Winsor

The Homecoming court stands together after finding out they were nominated.

As with many events at Xavier, homecoming underwent some modifications this year so as to protect the Xavier community from the ongoing Covid-19 virus. In lieu of a dance, the Gators celebrated homecoming with activities and dress-up days throughout Spirit Week. Headed by Wendy Mostoller and the homecoming chairs (Olivia Banashack ‘21 and Kathy Chen ‘21), homecoming committee members worked diligently to help make Spirit Week as fun as possible. 

The theme for homecoming was “Who Dunnit Hoco.” Despite having restrictions due to Covid, the Gators strived with the celebration by participating in dress-up days and lunch activities developed by the committee members. 

Activities varied and included a “Where’s Waldo” scavenger hunt, a cake walk at lunch and a showing of Clue: The Movie, among other exciting activities. Furthermore, the seniors were treated to a special treat: free donuts, coffee and hot chocolate on Tuesday. “While I am saddened that the seniors never had their last homecoming alongside the freshmen missing their first, I am grateful that the Xavier community was able to work together to create an enjoyable environment and memorable week,” said Nia Spilotro ‘21. 

In addition to activities, numerous students took advantage of the various dress-up days held during Spirit Week. From trench coats and prison outfits on Detectives vs. Suspects Day to all of the Waldos walking around campus on Thursday, Gators knew how to dress up. 

All of the days culminated in a free sweans day on Friday, where students were allowed to wear homecoming T-shirts with sweatpants or jeans for free. Homecoming Spirit Week was also enjoyable for virtual students. “Virtual hoco was a fun event that brought some normalcy to the XCP campus,” said Alyssa Marino ‘21. 

The homecoming committee also worked to ensure that the tradition of a homecoming court was upheld. Despite Covid preventing the dance, the senior class was still given the opportunity to nominate the homecoming king and queen. In the end, the crowned queen was Emmie Paulson ‘21 and king was Desi Burrage ‘21. 

In spite of Covid, the Xavier Gators were still able to come together and celebrate homecoming through the Spirit Week activities and homecoming court nominations.