Xavier students aim to prove that homecoming is more than a dance

Vivian Amoia, XPress Staff
Xavier students pose in front of one of the homecoming promotion signs. These signs, created by PUB Club and the homecoming committee, are posted around campus to increase the homecoming spirit of the students.

The last weekend of October is for haunted decorations, spooky costumes and creepy masks. Not this year. Throw away your masks and grab your boots because it’s going to be a wild west rodeo.

With the help of the Xavier homecoming committee, Xavier and Brophy’s homecoming dance this year will be held on Saturday, October 29. This yearly tradition will be located on the Brophy Campus, and has been for many years. 

The homecoming committee has done a lot of preparation to make this event special. 

“We start meeting right away in August to try to plan out what we are going to do for spirit week,” said Wendy Mostoller, homecoming committee moderator. 

Every year, Brophy chooses the theme, and their committee members always seem to choose something the students love. This year, after much anticipation, the theme was announced on September 28: Home on the range, a wild west homecoming!

Although finding out the theme is exciting, many students would argue that spirit week is even better. This year, spirit week is Monday through Friday, October 24 through 28, and students are counting down the days.

“I think the most exciting part for our girls is actually our spirit week, because it is on our campus and it involves all girls from all grades who can participate in the activities,” said Mostoller.

During spirit week, students are allowed to dress up and there are activities of fun at lunch. Monday, October 24 is Pajama Day and at lunch there will be music, photos with western props and fresh-squeezed lemonade. Tuesday, October 25 is Soccer Mom vs. BBQ Dad Day and there will be lip-syncing and churros at lunch. Wednesday, October 26 is Western Wednesday. At lunch, there will be face/hand painting and line dancing. Thursday, October 27 is Adam Sandler Thursday and at lunch there will be a cake walk and the senior/teacher volleyball game. Finally, Friday, October 28 is Homecoming T-shirts/Brophy Shirts Day.

The main event on Friday, however, is not during the day. It’s Friday night lights, the football game versus Desert Vista. Xavier and Brophy students love supporting their football team and spiritline, but the homecoming game is special. “Get your spirit on, get ready! It’s going to be a fun time!” said Kate Tax, homecoming publicity committee member.

Not only is the game important to the students, but it is extremely special to the alumni of Xavier and Brophy who have come back to visit and relive their best high school memories.

Following Friday and the exciting week’s events is the big day. Saturday, October 29 is the homecoming dance. Xavier and Brophy students will be dressed up and ready for the wild west, only imagining what awaits them on the Brophy Campus. 

As students know, Brophy typically goes all-out when it comes to homecoming decorations. Last year, for Haunted Homecoming, there were huge fog clouds, colossal animatronic monsters and even students dressed as scary creatures, much like a real haunted house. 

Entering the dance, students must be in the gates by 8:00 p.m. and the dance will end at 11:00 p.m. 

Inside the gates is where the magic happens and where all the grades join together for, arguably, one of the best dances of the year. “It’s really nice to see all grade levels come together and go to this dance,” said Rylie Wood, homecoming committee chair. 

Spirit week, the game and the dance are coming up quickly and Xavier students have already started to prepare. 

“Look forward to buying the homecoming t-shirt because there will be a limited number,” said Mostoller.