Bittersweet Goodbye: The Van Sickles retire after 30 plus years

Deirdre and Dave Van Sickle are together at a Diamondbacks game. They love to show athletic enthusiasm for both Xavier and the local community. (Photo courtesy of Deirdre Van Sickle)

The Xavier community will say goodbye to Dave and Deirdre Van Sickle at the end of the 2023-2024 school year. A track and field and cross country coach and a family resources development teacher have dedicated over thirty years of their time to Xavier. 

“It’s such a great community and place to work. Everybody is so kind,” said Deirdre Van Sickle, Xavier family resources teacher. 

The Van Sickles embarked on their journey at Xavier in the early 90s. Dave Van Sickle started as the head coach for the cross country team and assistant to the track and field team, and Deirdre Van Sickle began as the family resources department chair. 

Dave Van Sickle has been involved with track since 1974, when he began in 8th grade. With the overwhelming support Xavier offered, he started working at Xavier in February of 1990.  He recalls his greatest achievements of winning 10 cross country state championships and 9 runners-up, which is the most any Division 1 school has ever won. 

“As far as athletics goes, the administration backs the coaches and wants to win. No school is as balanced in sports and activities as Xavier,” Dave Van Sickle said. “The expectations Xavier has for sports and academics are like no other,” he added.

“Mr. Van Sickle was always welcoming and had the best jokes. He has always believed in me and has been such an amazing support,” said Aymara Ubom, Xavier track and field athlete.

Deirdre Van Sickle started working at Xavier a couple of years after Dave Van Sickle began and she started as the physical education teacher and assistant to the track and field team. After 10 years of working in that field, she switched to the family resources department. 

Her time as the family resources teacher consisted of memorable yet impactful moments. Family resources teaches important life skills that are important for young women to learn like cooking, sewing and taking care of children.

“In Foods and Nutrition, Mrs.Van Sickle made the class very fun and relaxing. It was fun coming to class and cooking food and watching documentaries,” Emma Knox, ‘25 said. 

After the 30 plus years the Van Sickles have been working at Xavier, they have left favorable impacts on their students.

Their huge contributions to sports and academics will continue to inspire students long after their leaving of Xavier. The Xavier community will continue to support the Van Sickles as they embark on their new journey after retirement. They plan to do many outdoor activities like hiking.

These two teachers will miss the Xavier community just as much as the community will miss them.

“I will miss coaching the Xavier girls. I’ve always felt supported here and I’ve always wanted to come back next year!” Dave Van Sickle said.

“Mr. Vansickle and I are both really outdoorsy people. We just both agreed that we want to enjoy the time we have together,” Deirdre Van Sickle said.