Halloween: Fun, Creativity, Costumes

Xavier teachers line up in front of the bell tower to show off their Halloween costumes and outfits. Eva Becker shows off her matching pumpkin shirt and socks, Dr. Clay Zuba stands proudly in his “Fran” headpiece, Peggy Sue Clay shows her Diamondbacks pride and Sarah Schimpp strikes a pose as a friendly bat. (Photo courtesy of Chloe Beery)

Arguably the most important part of Halloween every year is what costume you wear. Some aim to be set apart from the crowd, some want to be stylish and some just want to be silly. 

There are noticeable trends every year, from the inflatable dinosaur costumes of the past to the Barbies of the present. According to Lara Henderson ‘26, “Barbie was by far the most popular costume this year.” 

I, Kylie, also noted this tendency and think it was brought on by both the popularity of Greta Gerwig’s recently released “Barbie” film as well as the nostalgia the Barbie dolls hold for many women today. These costumes were popular for the creativity they allow, and the possibilities with a Barbie costume are endless. After all, from astronaut, to veterinarian to baker, she’s done it all. 

However, those who prefer a more niche costume might argue that this plastic playmate is overdone based on its popularity this year. 

I, Chloe, see where this idea might come from but disagree based on the previous point that there are so many options for this costume, not just “stereotypical Barbie.”

Even so, many people this year opted for more obscure costumes, setting them apart from the crowd. If standing out was the goal, many people achieved this.

Kiana Weiland ‘26 said, “The best costume that I saw was definitely Soulja Boy,”a popular rapper who hit his peak in the early 2000s. 

This costume is unique and recognizable by young teens today, a point made puzzling by the fact that his most popular song was released in 2007. 

I, Kylie, think that it is such a cute idea to dress as these people because, although they are not “in trend” now, they are still popular. 

It was clear during this year’s Halloween celebrations that creative costumes were not only reserved for young teens, but also families. 

“I saw a family dressed as the rain, the sun and a cloud. The kid was the cloud and he rode around in a little car covered in fluff,” Brooklyn Baldwin ‘26 said.

Though some might argue that family costumes leave little room for individuality, I, Chloe, think that they give everyone involved the opportunity to have fun as a family and feel involved. The same can be said for group costumes among friends. 

Halloween is a great time for friends and family to come together and celebrate each other’s company. Costumes are a way to have a good laugh, look fashionable and express the lengths of your imagination.