Sister Lynn Winsor wins The Leslie Moore Legacy Award

Sister Lynn Winsor holds the Leslie Moore Legacy Award. This award was given to Winsor by Global Community Of Women In Sports in Orlando, Florida. (Photo courtesy of Jen Brooks)

On December 17, 2023, Sister Lynn Winsor was awarded the Leslie Moore Legacy Award. The award is given to those who have distinguished themselves in the athletic field. 

Winsor was recognized for her unique position in the field of athletics administration. 

The award was given by the Global Community Of Women In Sports. This organization is dedicated to promoting an inclusive environment for women athletics while connecting and growing with other women. 

Winsor was one of the first members of the Global Community Of Women In Sports when it was founded in 2017. Since then, she has been on several of its boards’ committees.

“All the committees she has served nationally, they respect her and they all see that she has done this for 50 years and they all want to applaud her,” said Xavier’s associate director of athletics and head golf coach Tui Selvaratnam.

Winsor has also been recognized in several hall of fames. She has been recognized in the Arizona Sports Hall Of Fame, the National Interscholastic Athletic Administration Association Hall Of Fame and the National Federation High Schools Hall Of Fame.

Winsor graduated from Xavier in 1961 and started working at Xavier in 1974. She will celebrate her 50th anniversary of working at Xavier this August. 

“Many people stay forever; they love it here because of the support you get from the entire community. I say it’s like a family,” Winsor said.

Winsor is athletic director, vice principal of activities and previous head golf coach at Xavier College Preparatory.

Her colleagues describe her as enthusiastic, focused and very dedicated. “She works hard. She not only looks after Xavier but looks after all girls’ athletics and sports,” Xavier’s president Sister Joan Fitzgerald said.

“She wants to see growth and wants to continue helping the student athletes and student body,” Selvaratnam said.

In Arizona, Winsor has also played a role in starting girls high school sports. In 1985, Windsor helped start soccer, help start lacrosse and crew in 2001, beach volleyball in 2010, and flag football in 2022.

“In the 50 years she has done a tremendous amount for women’s sports,” said Selvaratnam.

“What hasn’t she accomplished?” Fitzgerald remarked.