8 students convert to Catholicism

Converts from last year’s sacrament Mass at St. Francis gather with Father Harold Escarcega. Both Brophy and Xavier students are shown. (Brianne Pennington)

This year, eight students are converting to Catholicism: Amaris Rodriguez ‘27, Chantel Newman ‘27, Ava Miyatovich ‘27, Tanya Mock ‘26, Madalyne Diaz Sanchez ‘25, Halle Carns ‘24 and Bella Hooker ‘24.

All of these girls are at different places in the conversion process. Some have already received certain sacraments while others are taking classes to get all of their sacraments of initiation.

Converting to Catholicism is a long process that includes classes and requirements, such as receiving sacraments and learning about the faith.

Carns, along with the rest of her fellow converts, has been taking classes with Brianne Pennington, Xavier’s campus minister. 

Carns explains that the class “replaces what most converts would participate in, which is called RCIA, a program that they would do at their local parishes for approximately two years.”

The classes that replace RCIA have been taking place every Monday at lunch. All of the girls and Pennington meet.

Converts can come to God through a variety of ways. Seniors who are converting explain how they have found God through Kairos, a retreat provided by Xavier for seniors. 

“I think that taking time to discuss, consider and appreciate God is so important in our lives and it’s sort of taken for granted that at Xavier we are so lucky to have opportunities to do just that,” Carns says.

Some of the girls have already received certain sacraments, like baptism, but others are receiving all three sacraments of initiation at the same time. The three sacraments are baptism, confirmation and holy communion.

Xavier has many opportunities for the students to grow closer in their faith or learn about Catholicism.

Xavier’s theology classes, prayer days, reconciliation and Masses throughout the year have also helped students grow closer in their faith and relationships with God. 

“I know that sitting in sophomore and junior theology classes I had some profound moments of ‘Wait… this actually makes sense,’” Carns said.

The official date for their conversion ceremony will take place in mid-April.