Girls Have IT Day is around the corner

courtesy of Xavier's flickr

Xavier girls show 8th graders a science experiment.

“Starting my freshman year at my all-girls high school, Xavier College Preparatory, I have participated in an annual event called Girls Have IT Day. GHID is an event for middle school girls to become engaged and excited about science, technology, engineering, art and math (STEAM). The event begins its organization during the summer by finding donations for “swag bags” and food for volunteers. It progresses during the fall months with the invitation of 1,000+ local middle school girls. GHID continues to develop in the spring with the process of inviting Xavier clubs to sign up to host activities. Finally, the big day comes and leaves quicker than it came, but the effects are everlasting.

I chose this activity to participate in, as an activity provider from freshman through junior year and senior year as a GHID student coordinator board member, because I was inspired when I attended GHID as a middle schooler. I was fascinated by the way IT and engineering could be so easily incorporated into everyday life without being a boring desk-job lifestyle. The activities provided at the 110+ club-sponsored booths were engaging and provided new perspectives for me. It was at GHID that I learned how art can be incorporated into engineering, the concept of 3D printers and the way the sport of rowing/ crew utilizes engineering as well.”- Sara Skornik ‘16.

This coming Girls Have IT Day is on March 4 from 1-3pm on Xavier’s campus. “Girls Have IT Day 2016” is proud to announce and invite Erin Ryan as its keynote speaker. Ryan recently graduated from the University of Miami and majored in marine science and biology while minoring in chemistry and psychology.

Register your activity here:

https://goo.gl/XFYk67

Do you know a middle school girl who wants to come to Girls Have IT Day?  It’s free and each girl gets a goody bag along with inspiration and fun.  We are accepting registrations from “responsible adults” (teachers, chaperones, parents, guardians, etc) who will be able to bring girls.  Share this link:

https://goo.gl/puhAqN

Questions?  Please let us know.

Fiona Lobo ’16

[email protected]

Mrs. Frances McMahon Ward

[email protected]

Mrs. Catherine Wyman

[email protected]