Xmedia: the revitalized Xpress

Not all media takeovers are bad. This semester, Xavier has expanded its journalism department to include a course about broadcast journalism. In this new course, colloquially known as “Xmedia,” various aspects of the journalistic medium are explored.  

According to Frances McMahon Ward, the course’s instructor, “Sr. Joan and Sr. Lynn, in their effort to celebrate all of the student activities on campus, wanted to have a showcase area that could be accessible to everyone.”

“I thought it was important for the students to be the producers of the content that was going to be shown on the screens in the AC Lobby as a way to learn video production/media broadcasting skills,” said Ward, explaining the ideas behind the course.

The newly debuted class utilizes a workshop style learning environment. Under Ward’s instruction, students taking her course gain experience with handling camera equipment, filming in various environments and editing videos.

“Xmedia is designed to familiarize students with the principles and preparation techniques to produce sports features, stories, highlights and webcasts,” said Ward, who also teaches Honors Independent Computer Study, Video Art, Digital Photography and Graphic Design/Photoshop CS6. Additionally, students become familiar with pre-production, production and post-production practices, “such as script writing, interviewing skills, camera/microphone techniques, lighting and non-linear video editing skills,” she explained.

It’s a great way to get involved because by going to all these events that maybe you wouldn’t normally attend, you’re able to see if these activities would be something you’re interested in,” said senior Hannah Pai on the significance of the course.

Junior MJ Machen agrees. “Xmedia is fun because you get to bring attention to different activities and sports teams throughout Xavier,” she said.

According to Ward, “All products from this class are displayed in the multi-screened AC lobby and online.” The student content from Xmedia is also available for Xpress to use in their online publication. “We are still perfecting the workflow on this process so that it is instantly available to the awesome Xpress staff,” admitted Ward.

In fact, next year Xpress and Xmedia will become much closer as a merger combines the classes to enhance the school’s communications to all of its constituents, according to Ward. “This enhancement will expand the reach of Xpress/Xmedia to include more than our student and faculty populations, but it will also be a resource/focus for our parents, alumnae, donors and other stakeholders.”

The merger will result in a course called Broadcast Journalism/Advanced Editing I & II. “It is a year long course [that will be] required for Xpress Editors,” said Ward. “The class [will be an] introduction to broadcast news writing, videography, editing and visual storytelling [where students] will develop the skills to produce both written and multimedia stories that encompass Xpress, sports media and broadcast journalism.

“We are very excited about the possibilities that this merger will bring for our community,” said Ward.