Bubble Buddy theatre program encourages open environment, safe space

Sophomore Eden Tornquist (left), senior Greer Tornquist (middle) and sophomore Grace McGovern (right) pose for a picture in their Bubble Buddy group. 

Tatum Dial '19

The “Bubble Buddy” theatre program was created during “The Little Mermaid” show process as a way to create a warm environment for students new to Xavier’s theatre. 

Each member of the cast filled out a survey, answering questions about their likes and hobbies. An upperclassman, or a regular in the theater community, was paired up with a lower classman, or new member of the theater community, to help one another throughout the journey.  

Senior Jenna Germinaro created the Bubble Buddy program during “The Little Mermaid” to make the theater an LBF, or “Let’s be friendly,” environment.

Germinaro said, “LBF is all about making friends and including everyone and we wanted to make sure that all of the new cast members were included and felt welcome into our really close-nit group of people.”

Throughout the rehearsal and show process, each older bubble buddy created a supportive experience for the newcomers. On opening night, each cast member gave their buddy a present to celebrate the accomplishments of the show.

Sophomore Eden Tornquist, a new Xavier theatre cast member, said, “My bubble buddy was really great at guiding me and introducing me to new people.”

According to Germinaro, the program successfully promoted a LBF environment within the community.

Germinaro, who is looking for a junior who will continue the program after she graduates, hopes the program will continue in the years to come.