National Honor Society: Why we serve

Sara Valentine '18

Xavier students donating canned goods and money for the annual food drive at Xavier College Prep on Thursday, Nov. 9, 2017.

At Xavier College Preparatory there is a strong sense of community, whether it is in the hallways or out in the world. There are also so many different clubs around campus that are directed towards service, with one of the largest being National Honor Society. Not only is this a club based upon academic excellence and leadership, but also service. Every year NHS hosts multiple fundraising projects such as water bottle drives and canned food collections. Outside of this in-school service, NHS members are required to contribute 25 hours of additional service to the community.

There are a variety of different options where this service requirement can be completed. Some popular places to serve include Saint Vincent de Paul, St. Mary’s Food Bank, YMCA youth sports, Arizona Humane Society and others. Service should be something that is looked forward to and makes you feel good. Since there are only 25 hours of required service, it can be easily separated amongst the four quarters. This service is such an amazing way to reach out and meet new people that are also determined to better the world.

The National Honor Society mission statement states that “four main purposes have guided chapters of NHS from the beginning: to create enthusiasm for scholarship; to stimulate a desire to render service; to promote leadership; and to develop character in the students of secondary schools. These purposes also translate into the criteria used for membership selection in each local chapter.” There are many different chapters of NHS throughout the valley at multiple high schools. This organization was established in 1921 and is continuing to grow and flourish.

Joining NHS has given students the outstanding opportunity to interact with people from all different walks of life. This project of service teaches qualities such as kindness, acceptance and leadership which are all valuable characteristics.

NHS moderator, Ms. Bonnie Pendergast says that “The purpose of NHS includes recognizing students who excel in service to the community, as well as, encouraging students to continue giving to their community.  Providing service to the community helps each member see the benefits of giving back, develop skills while helping others, and learn compassion.”