The success of Xavier sports in the 2017-2018 school year

%28L-R%29+Seniors+Maddy+Chait%2C+Kinsey+Ehmann%2C+Nicole+Hook%2C+and+Abby+Hubbard+on+varsity+soccer.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

(L-R) Seniors Maddy Chait, Kinsey Ehmann, Nicole Hook, and Abby Hubbard on varsity soccer.

Nicole Hook '18

Nicole Hook '18

Nicole Hook '18

Megan Onofrei, Club Writer

This year has been a very successful year for the Gators; they have won five state championships! During the fall sports season, varsity badminton made it all the way to the semis this year. Varsity Volleyball won their 12th state championship for this school after defeating Corona. After winning the 6A Volleyball State Championship, Coach Lamar-Renee Bryant was honored as AZ Central’s Volleyball Coach of the Year. Xavier Golf takes home another state championship by defeating Hamilton in nine strokes. Sophomore Ashley Menne was honored for her outstanding performance, leading her to win the State Individual Title. After the tragic death of Xavier’s Swim and Dive head coach, Maureen Rankin, the Gators won a state title in honor of Coach Rankin, their first state championship since 2012.

Xavier Spiritline performed really well at their state competition while led to both Cheer and Pom advancing to Nationals which were at the end of February. Cheer performed amazing and won the state title, while Pom had a great showing and placed second at the state competition.

The winter sports season consisted of two sports, soccer and basketball, both of which played for state titles this year. Xavier Soccer had a fantastic year when they won another state championship for the second year in a row. Gator soccer has won ten state championships since the program began, five of them in the last ten years with Coach Barb Chura as the head coach. The Gators fought hard the whole championship game and scored against Perry with 22 minutes left in the match. The girls on Varsity soccer worked really hard to win a state championship and Coach Chura was recognized as the Conference Coach of the Year. Senior captain, Nicole Hook was also recognized as the Defensive Player of the Year, scoring the game winning goal in the championship game. Junior, Kyla Ferry was awarded Offensive Player of the Year and Conference Player of the Year. Xavier Basketball had an incredible season when they advanced to the state title game, which is something that has never been done by Xavier Basketball before. Varsity Basketball played with a lot of heart and fought to the end but they ended up placing as the runner-ups after an exciting game with a result of 68 (Valley Vista) to 55 (Xavier).

The spring sports season consists of beach volleyball, lacrosse, softball, tennis and track and field. Beach volleyball had a successful season with 11 wins and only 3 loses. The varsity lacrosse team and varsity softball team both had good seasons filled with a lot of team spirit, determination, and work ethic. Xavier varsity tennis had an amazing year filled with a lot of victories from singles and doubles team but unfortunately, the doubles team lost a hard-fought match to Chaparral in the quarter-finals. Xavier Track and Field also had a successful year, where they placed 8th in the state playoffs and our athletes set personal records and even school records!

Xavier is so proud of all of the hard work, dedication, and time that the athletes and coaches have put into their sports season to win a total of five state championships and have such an outstanding athletic performance throughout the 2017-2018 school year!