How to manage senior stress

Maddie+Dinowitz+looking+at+common+app+website+and+doing+other+homework+

Tatum Dial

Maddie Dinowitz looking at common app website and doing other homework

The first semester of senior year can be a very stressful time for students who are preparing the final elements of college applications. There are last minute ACT and SAT testings that create anxiety for those who know it is their last chance to show off their testing abilities. Most students at Xavier often apply to more than ten colleges that require supplemental essays to be submitted along with everything else which causes anxiety.

Senior Maddie Dinowitz stated, “Managing class expectations with the tedious common app and finding out you have to write more supplements than you thought causes much stress. Balancing after school activities and club events can lead you to never catching a break.” Xavier students are busy individuals with many activities other than school work or college applications so creating the balance can be demanding.

Managing stress can be a difficult task for those who constantly stress about their many responsibilities but it is important for students to protect their mental and physical well being by balancing the work that is required over the next several months.

Helpful tips for managing stress:

1. Create to-do lists after school everyday
  2. Go into the guidance counselor for help
  3. Take time to yourself and do a facemask  
  4. Relax
  5. Do not procrastinate until the day before deadlines
  6. Remember the bigger picture

Senior Abbie Alexander reminds us, “Even though it’s a lot, its just this short period of time we have to push through. And then we can relax.”