Merry and Bright: Celebrating a Cultural Christmas

Claire Sabol

The Christmas wreath on the door of Señora Gutierrez’s classroom. This wreath is unique because it has “Feliz Navidad” written on it with several cacti and a mini piñata, making it a perfect example of a way that Spanish-speaking people can infuse their culture into their Christmas celebrations.

The Christmas tree glistens in the living room. The smell of freshly baked gingerbread cookies fills the air. The house bustles with the joyous talk of young children and adults alike. For many, this is what comes to mind when thinking about celebrating Christmas. However, every household celebrates this joyous time of year differently. You don’t have to leave the country, let alone the state, to see the cultural diversity during the Christmas season. Below, Xavier students open up about their unique traditions reflecting their culture.

Sophomore Linnea Kerber expresses her Scottish and English heritage by eating scones, various types of European bread, and tea with her family on Christmas, in addition to biscotti and coffee. Junior Edyta Zimny celebrates Christmas with her family “Polish style”. One tradition is cleaning her house before the holidays. “It is a symbolic gesture as well because we are also cleaning our hearts to prepare for the birth,” she states. She also prepares twelve dishes on Christmas Eve, which symbolize the twelve apostles. She adds that she was very surprised to discover Americans celebrate Christmas on Christmas Day!

It’s not just students who are celebrating in unique ways. Xavier Spanish teachers Señora Sandra Galache and Señora Alexandra Gutierrez give their students the chance to learn about Mexican Christmas traditions, such as Las Posadas, an active retelling of the Nativity. Xavier’s inclusive community encourages students to explore these and other cultural traditions.

Do you have a Christmas tradition that you think is unique? Comment it below!