Getting girls in leadership roles

Back to Article
Back to Article

Getting girls in leadership roles

Sienna Martinez, Class Writer

A new wave of females in leadership positions is emerging in our workforces, schools and our everyday lives, furthering the positive development for women in society. Being an individual with leadership skills involves a person or group of people working towards a common goal productively. Culturally, we tend to associate leadership with extroversion rather than introversion, but it is about being capable, effective and confident. According to the Pew Research Center, women make up a small share of top leadership jobs and are often unrepresented. Including women in more leadership roles will serve as an example for younger generations to consider as well as create greater outcomes and ethics in attaining leadership roles that will broaden and deepen perspectives for the future.

It is important to educate girls so that we may create empowered women that will grow up contributing economically, intellectually, academically and emotionally in our communities, country and the world. Creating more opportunities for females starts with creating a more inclusive environment while making women leaders visible. Ways we can encourage girls is by boosting their confidence to partake in public speaking events and activities outside of the classrooms. Attending programs such as “Girls Rule Foundation” or “Girls Have It Day” help women to pursue personal power and strength creatively and collaboratively with one another. By partaking in this we can build the foundation for gender diversity in schools and workplaces, thus creating an environment where women can thrive in leadership roles and move toward a greater leadership balance of success.

Sophomore Jordan Nunez  believes that “more gender diversity can increase greater innovation and better decision-making.” As an all-girls school, Xavier promotes a positive need for more girls to be in leadership roles while giving girls the tools and opportunities to identify their talents at a young age and to help them understand what they bring to their environment. With the help of guidance from family and friends, young girls can stay true to themselves with a strong support system helping them to navigate their future. Now it is time to celebrate the #pinkwave of women entering new and first-ever leadership roles while promoting a safe and respectful work environment in a welcoming culture. The infusion of women into leadership roles has the potential to change the world.