Stoneman Douglas Highschool: 2 Years Later

A poster made in remembrance of the 17 victims from the Stoneman Douglas Highschool shooting. Photo Credit: Local10News

Soccer player, geography enthusiast, chicken nugget lover. These are just three personalities among the 17 Florida individuals that fell victim to the shooting massacre on February 14, 2018. 

Two years ago, a 19-year-old opened fire on his fellow students in the hallways of Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. This tragedy shook not only the neighboring communities of South Florida but our nation as a whole. The Parkland survivors did not let this event knock them down. Instead, many of the young high schoolers became effective activists, fighting for new gun control laws. With a combination of rallies, speeches, and online posts, the students of Stoneman High gained recognition and a resolute voice, influencing the opinions of future voters. Their raw displays of heartbreak and demand for reform struck the nation like a storm. Campaigns, like “Never Again” and “March for our Lives,” became trending slogans worldwide, resulting in both democratic and republican state legislatures to pass 76 new gun control laws in 2019. 

The Parkland shooting was a prominent factor in the recent surge for gun control in the United States. Active shooter drills, walkouts, and protests are now commonly practiced in all schools nationwide. 

Today, the students of Stoneman Douglas High School continue to be persistent in the fight for change, and are the catalyst for the reflection and remembrance of the tragic events two years ago. On Friday, February 14, 2020, students in Broward County, Florida, commemorated the tragedy by participating in “A Day of Service and Love.” There were volunteer projects in the area following an early dismissal. The Broward Schools Superintendent, Robert W. Runcie, quotes to CNN, “but as a community, I can tell you, the students have expressed a tremendous amount of courage, resilience..” Student activist, Alex Wind, posted to his Instagram on February 14, 2020, “During this difficult time, I am so grateful to be surrounded by love and support today and always from incredible friends.” 

Alex Wind at the March for our Lives speech in 2018.
Photo Credit: Marchforourlives

The conversation of gun control didn’t end back in 2018, and the memories of the lost souls remain prominent in everyone’s thoughts nationwide. Still, there are problems surrounding gun control laws. Just this week, on Feb. 27, there was a shooting in Milwaukee killing 5 individuals. When will this stop? Hopefully, the rate of shootings starts to decrease as people become more aware of gun safety. Rallies, protests, and walk-outs will persist until a change is met. Perhaps, as a nation, we should look at the numbers tied to public shootings and re-evaluate the system.