When tragedy strikes, Xavier helps

XPress Picture

During the Freshman Prayer Day 2021, freshwomen wear what is typically worn on Buck-a-Sweans days. To wear sweats or jeans, students paid $1 to contribute to pressing issues that Xavier aids.

It is safe to say that this year, along with 2020, has not been easy. In the midst of a global pandemic, the United States Forces left Afghanistan on August 30, 2021 in hopes of closing out a 20 year war. 

The small country in South Asia was left in chaos with no visible place to progress.  

While that is occurring in Asia across the Atlantic ocean, Tropical Storm Ida touched down on U.S. soil on August 29, 2021 and wreaked havoc on 8 states.

These last two years have impacted people around the globe, from natural disasters to viruses. Violence and warfare too.

More locally, online school and quarantining have been hard and leave students feeling stressed. 

On September 1, 2021, Xavier held this year’s first Buck-a-Sweans to donate to these pressing situations.

Xavier’s Sister Lynn Winsor said “ It’s our Christian mission at Xavier to assist others. That’s why we picked this cause.”

In Xavier’s 78 year history, they have held many Buck a Sweans days to serve the community. 

Tara Metzger, who has been a part of Xavier traditions for 12 years, said, “Helping others is truly what Xavier is all about. I feel so incredibly grateful to be a part of the Xavier community.”

“When I was fairly new to Xavier, Sr. Annie came to speak to us about Damien House. I will never forget her. She was so kind and loving and greeted all of us with a hug. Her dedication and work with people suffering from Hansen’s Disease was incredible. Buck-a-Sweans helped this cause.”

Kaelyn Putz, a Xavier sophomore said, “I am happy and thankful that I got to be a part of this donation and I’m happy that Xavier chose to take time out of its schedule to perform an amazing donation and service to the community. I hope that the proceeds help the Afghanistan refugees and the hurricane survivors.”

With plans for more Buck-a-Sweans this year, Xavier plans on upholding this tradition of giving back to the community.