The Student News Site of Xavier College Preparatory

XPress

XPress

XPress

XPress

Follow Us On Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

Xavier XPress (@xcpxpress) • Instagram photos and videos

Local Weather
PHOENIX WEATHER
Scoreboard

Traditions Day recognizes the importance of high school traditions

Juanita Martin, Xavier alumna, speaks to the Xavier student body about her high school experience. Martin’s family and the Xavier community came together to listen to her speech about the traditions she celebrated as a Xavier student 70 years ago.
Charley Fisher, XPress Staff

Xavier College Preparatory has been celebrating Traditions Day as a way to recognize the evolution and culture of Xavier over the years. Beginning 23 years ago, Xavier began to commemorate the progression of when Xavier opened its doors in 1943 through current Xavier with a student body of 1,158 girls.

Traditions Day is the day Xavier hosts an all-school assembly which has multiple alumnae speakers who discuss their life journeys, Xavier’s impact on their lives, and traditions they performed at Xavier. 

Also 23 years ago, in the year 2000, Xavier welcomed a new club to the campus known as the President’s Council which includes all presidents of clubs, captains of teams and leaders of groups. Today’s President’s Council, with moderator Anna Panagiotakopoulos, works on the well-crafted video that conveys the opinions of students and teachers about the significance of Traditions Day. This video is shown on Traditions Day during the all-school assembly.

Polly Fitz-Gerald, director of alumnae relations at Xavier, is in charge of the alumnae part of the day which is crucial to Traditions Day. Sister Joan Nuckols, principal of Xavier, and Fitz-Gerald discuss which alumnae will speak at the assembly for the student body.

“The alumnae are chosen by what they do in the community. We choose someone who has been doing much in the community and [we hope] for them to come back to campus and be recognized by Xavier,” Fitz-Gerald said.

One of the alumnae speakers who spoke at this year’s Traditions Day is Juanita Martin. Martin graduated from Xavier in 1953, meaning this year was her class’s 70th reunion. 

Martin described her experience at Xavier. She recognized how Xavier has always been a school of precision and class. “Xavier is one of the best Catholic schools. There is no comparison; it is very prestigious,” Martin said. She mentioned many traditions Xavier celebrated while she attended such as candle lightings and May crowning. 

Xavier has always been a school with traditions and continues to grow along with different traditions. Sister Lynn Winsor, vice principal for activities/athletics at Xavier, explains how traditions around campus are essential factors of Xavier’s community. “The traditions that began in the beginning are still going today. As we become larger, we want to keep the traditions alive that were a part of Xavier since day one,” Winsor said.

Fitz-Gerald said, “Traditions Day is the day to celebrate where we have come from as a high school. We celebrate people who have come before us, who started these traditions. The traditions have changed over the years, but they are every bit as important.”

“A lot of things, different clubs and different organizations, have changed but the important part of being an all-girls Catholic school has not changed,” Fitz-Gerald said. 

Winsor adds on to the important part of being an all-girls school: “For the past 80 years at Xavier, Xavier has been helping young women attain excellence, and empowering them to be better citizens.”

The alumnae speakers who are welcomed back are excellent examples of “empowering” the student body. Fitz-Gerald expresses the significance of the student body listening to the speeches of the alumnae, and how motivating it is for the student body to watch alumnae receive awards for their works in the community. 

“Xavier started in 1943 and will continue forever. We will take care of our alumnae. We are a community, we stick together, and we will always help each other,” Winsor said.