Principal of Xavier perseveres for recovery

While at the house outside of Monet’s garden in Giverny, France on April 13, 2023, Sister Joan Fitzgerald sits next to Sister Joanie Nuckols. The significance of this bench holds great memories of the two sitting together while waiting for Xavier students and families to embrace the beauty of Monet’s garden. (Photo courtesy of Brian Mostoller)

On Wednesday, October 18, Sister Joanie Nuckols, principal of Xavier College Preparatory, was airlifted on a plane known as Air-CARE I to Dubuque, Iowa due to a health incident. 

Nuckols had a stroke while sitting in her car at her home in Phoenix, Arizona on September 24. She was rushed to St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center after the incident.

At St. Joseph’s Hospital, Nuckols was sent to Barrow Neurological Institute and has been there for the past three weeks. Sister Lynn Winsor, vice principal of activities, remarked how great Barrow has taken care of Nuckols and how incredible its program is. 

This past Wednesday, Nuckols traveled from Deer Valley Airport at 7 a.m. MST to arrive in Dubuque, Iowa at 2 p.m. CDT. From there, she will be relocated to the rehabilitation center at Mount Carmel Bluffs. 

“The doctor who was helping her at Barrow said, ‘If she had to go to a place to recover, it would be Mount Carmel,’” said Winsor.

Mount Carmel Bluffs houses the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, also known as the BVM sisters. Sister Joan Fitzgerald, Windsor, and Nuckols are part of the BVM sisters. 

“Mount Carmel is where many of the BVM sisters live, and they will be able to visit her and cheer her up,” Fitzgerald said.

During this time of worry and concern, the Xavier community has sent Nuckols handwritten letters and has sent prayers and love to her. The Xavier faculty has stepped up  to fill significant roles Nuckols holds.

View Comments (1)