XCP has a merry 2023 Christmas

Xaviers+Activites+Center+is+decorated+with+Christmas+inflatables.+Every+year%2C+Xavier+decorates+the+campus+with+Christmas+decorations+such+as+lights%2C+trees+and+wreaths.+
MJ Martinez
Xavier’s Activites Center is decorated with Christmas inflatables. Every year, Xavier decorates the campus with Christmas decorations such as lights, trees and wreaths.
XCP Christmas 2023
Xavier’s Junior Student Council poses next to its tree on November 30, 2023, during Xaviers annual Christmas Tree Lighting. The green tree symbolizes the junior class color, with the word Joy above. (Photo courtesy of Sister Lynn Winsor)
Xavier’s Junior Student Council poses next to its tree on November 30, 2023, during Xavier’s annual Christmas Tree Lighting. The green tree symbolizes the junior class color, with the word “Joy” above. (Photo courtesy of Sister Lynn Winsor)
Christmas Tree Lighting

Xavier’s Christmas Tree Lighting is an annual tradition organized by Key Club. Every year, four trees are decorated by each grade's student council officers. Each class tree is decorated with ornaments representing its class colors. The freshman tree is decorated pink, representing hope; the sophomore tree is decorated yellow, representing love; the junior tree is decorated green, representing joy; and the senior tree is decorated red, representing peace. Each ornament on the Christmas trees is purchased by Student Council, donated by students and/or sewn by family resources teacher Deirdre Van Sickle’s Textiles class. The tree lighting gives a physical reminder to reflect upon the birth of Christ, families and friends. After decorating the trees, the Student Council presents each homeroom with donuts. Once the trees have been displayed in the outside corridor, they are donated to St. Vincent De Paul in Phoenix and gifted to families in need. This tradition strengthens the bonds of Xavier's student body and enhances the unity of each class.

The winners of the Ugly Christmas Sweater Contest pose for a picture and celebrate their win. From left to right, Angelica Abril ‘26 Most Elaborate, Kamea Oudman ‘27 Ugliest in Show, Annika Dowdall ‘26 Most Elaborate, Teagan Bitcraft ‘25 Most Christmasy, Zach Carlson Best in Show, and Peggy Clay Faculty/Staff Runner-Up. (Photo courtesy of Vivian Amoia, XPress Staff)
Ugly Christmas Sweater Contest

The annual Ugly Christmas Sweater Contest at Xavier has been a tradition since 2018. This year, the event was held in Founders Hall at lunch on Thursday, November 30, where both students and faculty competed to see who had the best ugly Christmas sweater.

On December 1, the Angels (Xavier’s Performance Dance seniors) open the 21st Annual Christmas Pageant. The choreography was created by Mary Anne Herding,  Xavier’s dance department chair. (Photo courtesy of Olivia Garcia, XPress Staff)
On December 1, the Angels (Xavier’s Performance Dance seniors) open the 21st Annual Christmas Pageant. The choreography was created by Mary Anne Herding, Xavier’s dance department chair. (Photo courtesy of Olivia Garcia, XPress Staff)
Christmas Pageant

Annually, Xavier’s Christmas Pageant tells the story of the birth of Jesus Christ, incorporating dance and song. Xavier’s Choir and dancers dedicate the first two quarters of school preparing for the pageant that was performed on Friday, December 1 for the student body and Sunday, December 3 for families. 

Zoie Alexander ‘26, pictured left, sells brownies, muffins and other baked goods at the Christmas Market on December 6, 2023. She sold these items from a festive cart in the center of Xavier College Preparatory’s campus.  (Photo courtesy of Ellie Hilsabeck, XPress Staff)
Zoie Alexander ‘26, pictured left, sells brownies, muffins and other baked goods at the Christmas Market on December 6, 2023. She sold these items from a festive cart in the center of Xavier College Preparatory’s campus. (Photo courtesy of Ellie Hilsabeck, XPress Staff)
Christmas Market

On Wednesday December 6, 2023, Xavier brought back the Christmas Market led by ceramics teacher, Zachary Carlson. Xavier students sold baked goods, crafts and other handmade projects to fellow students and members of the Xavier community. This is the first Christmas Market Xavier has held since 2019. Norah Dentz ‘25 sold baked goods and will use the profit to help fund the Xavier crew team this season, while Zoie Alexander ‘26 said, “I participated to share my love of baking with the school.”

Multiple students are seen dancing in front of the stage in Founders Hall, Xavier College Preparatory’s lunchroom, at the Xavier Christmas Carnival. They were dancing to a group of girls who sang karaoke on stage. (Photo courtesy of Savannah Landrum Taylor, XPress Staff)
Chistmas Carnival

On Saturday night, December 9, Xavier hosted a Christmas carnival. The event took place in Founders Hall and spread outside into the parking lot. There were games and rides. Students were also given hot dogs, ice cream and hot chocolate throughout the night. 

Children of JumpStart Ministries gather around tables of gifts to pick their favorites in the gymnasium of San Marcos Elementary School in Chandler, Arizona. This event was made possible by the hard work of Joanne Sweeney (JumpStarts founder) and the generous toy donations from the Xavier community. (Photo courtesy of Rhonda Golden)
Children of JumpStart Ministries gather around tables of gifts to pick their favorites in the gymnasium of San Marcos Elementary School in Chandler, Arizona. This event was made possible by the hard work of Joanne Sweeney (JumpStart’s founder) and the generous toy donations from the Xavier community. (Photo courtesy of Rhonda Golden)
Christmas Jumpstart

Year round, JumpStart Ministries provides Sunday school to neighborhoods of children in need from Chandler, Arizona. Every December, Xavier pitches in with donations of toys for its annual Christmas project for children who attend the school. Xavier’s president, Sister Joan Fitzgerald, began Xavier’s involvement over 20 years ago after seeing the impact the program could have on the children being helped.