Bofia twins embrace bond of basketball

Suzy (front row middle) and Beatrice Bofia (second row, third from left) pose with family and friends to cheer on the Gators. Many wear the famous t-shirt showing Noelle’s face. (Photo courtesy Suzy Bofia)

The Bofia twins, Suzy Bofia and Beatrice Bofia, mother and aunt respectively to Noelle Bofia ‘26, became very popular at basketball games last year for their extravagant cheer section. They were spotted at every game representing Noelle with her face on their t-shirts and playing the drums to motivate the team. 

“My family is very supportive of me and are doing all they can to help me reach my dreams. My mom and my aunt are the ones who take it all to another level, especially with the drums. There were times when their hands were hurting after playing the drums and that just goes to show how much they love and support not only me but this whole team,” said Noelle Bofia.

These drums, called Balafon, are very popular in Cameroon where the Bofia twins grew up.

Such positive support from her family has helped Noelle grow tremendously.

Head basketball coach Jennifer Gillom sees a huge development in Noelle, starting with her work ethic, and how she was preparing before and after the season.

“Her relationship with her mother and her aunt and the support they give her daily and at the games have made a huge difference in her. It brings out the motivation that a person needs, knowing that someone is by their side at all times,” Gillom said.

Gillom thinks back to her own experience of support from her sister, Peggy Gillom-Granderson, who coached her in college and even followed her when she played in the WNBA. 

“We’ve just always been in each other’s corner, and I just think that having that great support from family is huge in a person’s career,” said Gillom. 

Similarly, Suzy and Beatrice Bofia have been each other’s support system from a young age.

The Bofia twins grew up in The Republic of Cameroon, a country in Central Africa, where they started playing basketball at age 14. While most kids in Cameroon grew up playing soccer, Suzy says that she and her sister played basketball because of their height. Beatrice reached 6 feet 7 1/2 inches tall and Suzy 6 feet 7 inches.

In fact, while playing together at the University of Arizona in the 2006-07 and 2007-08 seasons, they were believed to be the tallest female twins in the world. 

Suzy Bofia reflected on how she played basketball with her sister for a very long time and how much she really enjoyed it. As a former player, she recognizes the impact that the crowd has on players, which is why she, along with Beatrice, formed the Bofia Fan Club.

The Bofia twins support Noelle and the team by making custom t-shirts with the players names and faces and by creating cheers to distract opposing players and to hype up the crowd. Even though Beatrice Bofia has missed a few games due to the recent birth of her baby, the Bofia twins continue to bring fire and joy to games. 

“It’s like having a sixth man on the court. It elevates you to a place where you just feel like you can be anybody. That support coming from the fans just takes your game to a whole new level, because you know they have your back and they want you to win,” Gillom said.

They supported the team by playing the drums last season. “We started playing at home, and the kids loved it. It’s good for your mind,” Suzy Bofia said.

According to the National Federation of State High School Associations’ basketball rules, under duties of game management, it is stated that no artificial noisemakers are permitted at games. Consequently, the drums have been banned from all regular season games this year.

Suzy Bofia, however, hopes they will be able to play the drums in the playoffs to support the Gators in their last games of the season.