The Student News Site of Xavier College Preparatory

XPress

XPress

XPress

XPress

Follow Us On Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

Xavier XPress (@xcpxpress) • Instagram photos and videos

Local Weather
PHOENIX WEATHER
Scoreboard

Working toward a deeper cause: Havyn Guyer supports babies through diaper drive

Ellie Hilsabeck
Havyn Guyer has collected 32 packs of diapers through donations within the past two weeks. Her goal of 500 packs of diapers has a deadline of next fall.

Havyn Guyer ‘25 recently began a project to collect diapers for premature babies. Guyer was in search of a way to help young children, especially those born early, after her sister Hailee died after premature birth. 

In honor of her sister, Havyn Guyer started “Hailee’s Diaper Drive” to help premature babies in need of medical care, and children from low-income families in need of support. 

Around a year after the passing of Hailee Guyer, Havyn Guyer was also premature, born two months early at only 3 pounds and 9 ounces. 

Many babies are born prematurely, leading to various health problems and time spent in the NICU after birth. 

Additionally, mothers of premature babies often do not have time to make arrangements for the births of their children. “Having an infant early can leave a family little time to prepare. In my situation, I didn’t even have a chance to have baby showers and prepare properly for arrival,” said mother Hollie Guyer.

For years, Hayvn Guyer has worked closely with March of Dimes, an organization to raise money for premature babies in need. 

March of Dimes hosts a walk which raises money, and this initially inspired Hayvn Guyer to begin this drive. 

According to the March of Dimes’ website, “March of Dimes believes in a world where every mom and baby are healthy regardless of wealth, race, gender or geography.” Hayvn Guyer and her cause align with the March of Dimes.

“I was thinking how I could help my community, more specifically children in my community,” Hayvn Guyer said. 

Hollie Guyer mentions how not only is Havyn deciding to help babies in the community but the community is helping Havyn pursue her cause.

“Since this idea began, we have been in contact with the Firefighters Charities who will be helping us put together a larger drive in the Valley.  In addition, Havyn will be permitted to leave boxes in various locations around Arizona for people to donate diapers.  We have received so much support already from Chief Executive Officer Annie Ansell of the Dysart Community Center.  She gave me contact information for Jason Stone who puts together non-profit stories for the local news,” said Hollie Guyer.

Havyn Guyer has set out to raise 500 diapers in 365 days. While she has made progress, she still has a long way to go and believes “every diaper counts. ”To help Havyn Guyer on her mission to support babies, donate to her Amazon registry to have diapers shipped directly to her house. Havyn plans to distribute the diapers to a local organization in about a year.

https://www.amazon.com/registries/gl/owner-view/IKJYRQ6R1H2P?ref_=gr_universal_landing